Chicken ethics and shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
User482 said:
I discovered recently that Young's are making a pretty good commitment to ethically sourced fish - their pies use pollack instead of cod for example, and some of their products are MSC certified. If you don't want to lay out £££ at the fishmonger then maybe have a look out for their products in the supermarket?

That said, I've just bought some pollack from the farmers' market at £7 per kilo. Not too expensive?

Thank you for that info. I will take a closer look at Young's fish. The local market does fish, but not battered, which I like sometimes.

domtyler

Über Member
User482 said:
I discovered recently that Young's are making a pretty good commitment to ethically sourced fish - their pies use pollack instead of cod for example, and some of their products are MSC certified. If you don't want to lay out £££ at the fishmonger then maybe have a look out for their products in the supermarket?

That said, I've just bought some pollack from the farmers' market at £7 per kilo. Not too expensive?

Is that the same Youngs that catch their prawns in the North Sea, ship them to Thailand for hand processing into Scampi and then ship them back to England for the supermarket shelves?

U

User482

domtyler said:
Is that the same Youngs that catch their prawns in the North Sea, ship them to Thailand for hand processing into Scampi and then ship them back to England for the supermarket shelves?

That's the one. You might want to read this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7150834.stm

I was dubious myself, but in fairness they did have an independent carbon audit done...

Top Bottom