chicken size plz help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trillian

hi, bit of a random one,

wanting to get a chicken to roast as a surprise treat for my gf before she goes on her last night of placement in A+E

but i've no idea what weight chicken would suit two people, just a rough guess would do

i'll be getting a ready stuffed one from asda probably but have no idea (my sister in law e-mailed instructions on how to cook one but not what weight to get)

any help would be greatly apreciated

bonj2

as a rough guess, i'd say a medium sized one would probably do fine.

OP
OP
T

Trillian

but, what is a medium sized chicken?

i've never bought a chicken before! i've no idea if 2oz is a small chicken or even if they come at 2oz

what weight would anyone class as a medium weight chicken?

andygates

Just get a big one and have leftovers the next day! That way you both get the bits you like. Oh, and get a proper one, not a Tesco flavourless bird. Free-range - they need to be able to move around to develop tasty muscles.

Rub a bit of salt in the skin, 20 minutes at 200 then 45 at 170 and you're done. Let it stand for five or ten minutes after it comes out of the oven so the juices do their mojo.

bonj2

Trillian said:
but, what is a medium sized chicken?

i've never bought a chicken before! i've no idea if 2oz is a small chicken or even if they come at 2oz

what weight would anyone class as a medium weight chicken?

I dont' know what weight, but one that looks a bit bigger than one of those dead tiny ones, but not a HUGE great one like a massive great turky.

bonj2

andygates said:
Just get a big one and have leftovers the next day! That way you both get the bits you like. Oh, and get a proper one, not a Tesco flavourless bird. Free-range - they need to be able to move around to develop tasty muscles.

Rub a bit of salt in the skin, 20 minutes at 200 then 45 at 170 and you're done. Let it stand for five or ten minutes after it comes out of the oven so the juices do their mojo.

don't put SALT on it! Bacon!

OP
OP
T

Trillian

right, i've given up now.

knew i should have just got my essay done and gone to get it tomorrow

its just i ride quicker at night and theres less traffic :biggrin:

red_tom

Nigel Slater FTW. Cut down on some of the amounts for your smaller chicken.

Herbed roast chicken

serves 4
a large chicken
garlic - 1 plump clove
butter - 100g
rosemary leaves - 1 tbs
basil leaves - a small handful
tarragon leaves - 1 tbs
wine, stock or water - 2 glasses

Set the oven at 200°c/gas 6. Peel the garlic and mash it with a little salt. Mix it with the butter and the roughly chopped herbs.

Untie the chicken and make a slit in the skin at the point where the breast and leg meet. Push most of the herb butter up inside the skin with your fingers, rubbing it into the flesh under the skin. Try not to split the skin (though if this does happen it is not the end of the world).

Massage the rest of the herb butter into the breast and legs of the chicken then put it upside down in a roasting tin. Roast the chicken for about an hour. (It is ready when you pierce the flesh at its thickest part and the juices run clear, with no trace of any blood.)

Remove the chicken from the roasting tin and set aside in a warm place to rest. Transfer the roasting tin to the hob, set it over a moderate heat and pour in the wine or stock. Scrape at the pan stickings, season the gravy and serve with the chicken.

JamesAC

Swallow your pride.

Go to a "real" butchers or poulterers. Tell the bloke (or the bird :biggrin::biggrin:) exactly what you want (ie enough chick for two healthy eaters).

Then, swallow some more pride, and ask for advice on how to cook it (ask for the thing to be weighed, and ask if the gibblets are still inside!!!).

Then, go home and cook it.

Then, swallow the bird.

Enjoy.

Top Bottom