1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

chicken size plz help

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Trillian, 5 Mar 2008.

1. Trillian

Trillian New Member

hi, bit of a random one,

wanting to get a chicken to roast as a surprise treat for my gf before she goes on her last night of placement in A+E

but i've no idea what weight chicken would suit two people, just a rough guess would do

i'll be getting a ready stuffed one from asda probably but have no idea (my sister in law e-mailed instructions on how to cook one but not what weight to get)

any help would be greatly apreciated

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

as a rough guess, i'd say a medium sized one would probably do fine.

3. OP
    OP
    Trillian

Trillian New Member

but, what is a medium sized chicken?

i've never bought a chicken before! i've no idea if 2oz is a small chicken or even if they come at 2oz

what weight would anyone class as a medium weight chicken?

4. andygates

andygates New Member

Just get a big one and have leftovers the next day! That way you both get the bits you like. Oh, and get a proper one, not a Tesco flavourless bird. Free-range - they need to be able to move around to develop tasty muscles.

Rub a bit of salt in the skin, 20 minutes at 200 then 45 at 170 and you're done. Let it stand for five or ten minutes after it comes out of the oven so the juices do their mojo.

5. Noodley

Noodley Guest

I'd get one about "this" big. But then again she might be a greedy bugger...:biggrin:

6. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

I dont' know what weight, but one that looks a bit bigger than one of those dead tiny ones, but not a HUGE great one like a massive great turky.

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

don't put SALT on it! Bacon!

8. Jaded

Jaded New Member

Since when was he called Bacon? :biggrin:

9. OP
    OP
    Trillian

Trillian New Member

right, i've given up now.

knew i should have just got my essay done and gone to get it tomorrow

its just i ride quicker at night and theres less traffic :biggrin:

10. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

Look for a chicken with cooking instructions on the label.:biggrin::smile:

11. red_tom

red_tom New Member

Nigel Slater FTW. Cut down on some of the amounts for your smaller chicken.

Herbed roast chicken

serves 4
    a large chicken
    garlic - 1 plump clove
    butter - 100g
    rosemary leaves - 1 tbs
    basil leaves - a small handful
    tarragon leaves - 1 tbs
    wine, stock or water - 2 glasses

Set the oven at 200°c/gas 6. Peel the garlic and mash it with a little salt. Mix it with the butter and the roughly chopped herbs.

Untie the chicken and make a slit in the skin at the point where the breast and leg meet. Push most of the herb butter up inside the skin with your fingers, rubbing it into the flesh under the skin. Try not to split the skin (though if this does happen it is not the end of the world).

Massage the rest of the herb butter into the breast and legs of the chicken then put it upside down in a roasting tin. Roast the chicken for about an hour. (It is ready when you pierce the flesh at its thickest part and the juices run clear, with no trace of any blood.)

Remove the chicken from the roasting tin and set aside in a warm place to rest. Transfer the roasting tin to the hob, set it over a moderate heat and pour in the wine or stock. Scrape at the pan stickings, season the gravy and serve with the chicken.

12. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

look at the label near the price, it will say small, medium or large next to it

13. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

No no no no.

Go to the rotisserie section, and get a ready cooked one. When you see the lady behind the counter, ask her the best way to keep it warm, although I would suggest slicing up the required amount, then putting some of your ready made gravy in an oven proof dish and laying the sliced chicken in this, then popping in the oven on about 160 until the veggies are de-frosted freshly done. Serve all this up with a flourish (and a couple of ready made yorkshires from the freezer section), she'll be putty, then you can marry her and never have to bother with cooking again, she'll be doing it all:biggrin:

14. JamesAC

JamesAC Senior Member

Swallow your pride.

Go to a "real" butchers or poulterers. Tell the bloke (or the bird :biggrin::biggrin:) exactly what you want (ie enough chick for two healthy eaters).

Then, swallow some more pride, and ask for advice on how to cook it (ask for the thing to be weighed, and ask if the gibblets are still inside!!!).

Then, go home and cook it.

Then, swallow the bird.

Enjoy.

15. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

shouldn't you be telling the bird to swallow the cock? :biggrin: