chicken size plz help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK sensible answer.
You can't get chickens that are very small, so any ready stuffed one should do. Even the tiniest chicken will be fine for two people unless they're incredibly greedy! Boil some spuds for about 10 mins, and then coat them in any fat that's come out of the chicken and roast them for 20 mins in the same tin. That is, put the spuds in 20 mins before the chicken will be ready. Then boil up some carrots for 10 mins. Should all be done at the same time then.

Apols if I'm teaching my granny etc, but I assume that anyone who's uneasy about picking a chicken is probably not up on roasties either.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Try a corn fed free range chicken (look yellow in colour) - yum yum - bit more pricey about £5-£6, but they are much nicer and the poor bugger has had a reasonable life before it's head was chopped off !

Arch

Married to Night Train
TheDoctor said:
OK sensible answer.
You can't get chickens that are very small, so any ready stuffed one should do. Even the tiniest chicken will be fine for two people unless they're incredibly greedy!

Point of Order: Unless you count Poussins... They are about a mouthful each...

Like people have said, look for a chicken labelled Medium, or maybe 3 and a bit pounds in weight. Roast according to instructions on label or what ever your sister said. Usually it's in the form of X minutes per pound or kilo, plus X minutes. Any meat not eaten on the day can be stripped off the bone, kept in the fridge and used to make sandwiches, salads, in with pasta, risotto...

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
If you want some flavour to your chicken then go to a local butchers and get a local reared one. If you want a cheap and tastless one then pop along to your local supermarket however if you saw that Jane Moore programme on telly last year about supermarket meats and especially chickens ;) then like me you would not touch one again with a barge pole.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Point of Order: Unless you count Poussins... They are about a mouthful each...

Like people have said, look for a chicken labelled Medium, or maybe 3 and a bit pounds in weight. Roast according to instructions on label or what ever your sister said. Usually it's in the form of X minutes per pound or kilo, plus X minutes. Any meat not eaten on the day can be stripped off the bone, kept in the fridge and used to make sandwiches, salads, in with pasta, risotto...

Point of clarification - if it's a Poussin, it'll be labeled up as a Poussin. Not as a Chicken.;)

Top Bottom