child bike trailer - which is best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fugu

Personally, I love the Chariot trailers. I think they are by far the best for anyone who is remotely keen on comfort, safety and regular cycling. I don't think they are that expenisive, but that's because I am German and know how to get them cheaper ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm a big Burley fan, I have a D'Lite.

3951523102_d56da86926.jpg

nathakent

i confirm the clamp is rubbish , it just depends on type of bikes. Ii have the cleveland trailer from Raleigh and it undetached in a busy street, with my children not far behind me. very lucky that nobody was injured. raleigh is not interested in my concern as i bought a second-hand trailer. if anybody can send me a picture of the new hitch fitting on their trailer, i ll be able to visualise how to make it safer. thanks for your help !!!!!!!!

slizzieg

Hi Funny Mummy,

I am interested to look at the bike trailer you have from a German ebay shop. I have only just discovered this discussion so the ebay link no longer works. Please would you mind re-posting the current ebay link? Much appreciated! Best regards, Mrs S Gillard

Hi Squirrel - I am a trailer tower!!
I wanted to get back into riding when my youngest was about a year, so did a huge tour of shops selling trailers - I was on a very lmited budget of £200 & all the ones that bracket seemed filmsy & insubtantial. The ones I really like Burley, Chariot were right out my range so I looked on Ebay to see if i could get a decent second hand one, but still found them going for silly money there.
But I did find an Ebay shop business based in Germany & bought one from them, it only cost me around £50 inc P&P (but I suppose the price deepend on who' bidding at any given etc)
It's steel framed with a real sturdy waterproof cover - yes it is a tad heavy at 16K but it's built like a tank & can tackle just about any terrain.
I've had it since Nov 06 & apart from scrapes on the wheel guards (from the shool gates) it's still sound, its max weight load is supposdly 45kg, but my boys together have hit that & it's showing no signs of affecting it.
I mentioned the weight - but to be honest once movin its not noticable on the flat & I can manage moderate hills easily enough - I can do big ones but only if carrying just my youngest lol!
This is like the one I have
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

Silly me - I meant to include...
I have used my friends Phillips Avon trailer once & it scared the bejesus out of me - Really small, light & flimsy, my boys complained it was cramped & ery bumpy, rough bumpy, not bouncy bumpy.
Compared to my trailer it was aslo very low to the ground & I really wasn't confidant about its safety, so much so that after about a mile on road i actulay moved onto the pavement & pushed!
I wouldn't reccomned this type of trailer for anything more than a Sunday ride round the park.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I use this seat that goes on a pannier rack rather than a trailer. Hopefully by the time the boy has outgrown it he'll be ready for a tow along.

I find it really good, he can talk to you more than in a trailer, and see more too. It does make it slightly top heavy, but you soon get used to it.

Top Bottom