child friendly route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ste T.

Guru
Does anybody know a long child freindly, car free, flatish route in the NW or more specifically within 50 miles of Liverpool. I have 7 and 9 yearold girls who are keen to do the miles but are not yet good enough to mix with traffic .I want to take advantage of their enthusiasm before they go off the idea. Circular would be great but linear would do fine. Thanks

Beardie

I take it you've tried the Sustrans website? There is a circular route which goes out to Wallasey and back via Chester and Runcorn, if that's long enough. The Leeds & Liverpool Canal can be cycled, though maybe you'd not want to go quite as far as Leeds every time. The Tourist Information Centre should also have a cyclepath map of the city.

Come to think of it, it's National Bike Week this week, so there will be some organised rides. They might not be 100% car free, but the beginners' rides steer well clear of busy roads.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tissington trail from just past Buxton (Parsley Hay or Sparklow to Ashbourne) - old railway line.
Hamps and Manifold valleys, from Hulme End (near Hartington) to Waterhouses - old narrow gauge/mineral railway line.

You could link them on minor roads, almost.

crisscross

Hi Ste, we did Leeds Liverpool Canal last summer with our children who were 9 and 6 at the time. It is flat and fun but a bit bumpy in places.

The Liverpool end is great.

Watch out for those fishermen though, they aren't a friendly bunch along there.

insurin

National Cyle route 5. You can start at Presthaven Sands. It follows the coastline to to Rhyl - Towyn - Colwyn Bay - LLandudno but you can go as short or far as you like. It's a dedicated cycle path. I take my daughter who is 9. We love it there.

check these pics out

http://www.cyclingnorthwales.co.uk/pages/tal_pens_ph.htm

don't start at Talacre as suggested on that site. Park up at Presthaven Sands. I have done this ride about 10 times.

Without the kids I cycle to LLandudno, go to the summit of the Great Orme and come back to Presthaven Sands. Or, carry on to Conway, Pemmemaer (however you spell it) then get the train back. £7.50)

Brains

Legendary Member
Sustrans routes -
They are designed to be suitable for the use by an unsupervised 12 year old

Top Bottom