Child seat for awkward bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DrPips

Hi All,

I have a Giant XTC 3 which I barely use, but want to get back into it again. I'd really like to get a child seat to fit to the back so I can take my 1 year old as well. The only problem is that where the adaptors would attach is the wires for the front derailer. I spoke to the guy from Halfords who didn't really have a solution, other than one of the seats that fits inbetween the rider and the handlebars, but these only go up to a baby with a weight of 15kg, too low. Or a trailer, but I'm not sure I like the sound of that.

Has anyone come across this before, and do you have a solution?

Thanks,

Dom

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Why dont you like the sound of the trailer? For kids they are brilliant. Cars always give a wider berth to kiddies trailers.

There are quite a few models that use a rack and in some cases the seatpost, which would solve your issues

Just as an example:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Front mounted are great for young kids as you chat to them as you cycle. You have cycle slightly knees out sometimes but it's not a problem if you just doing pootling / shopping runs etc. less ideal if you were doing 50 miles plus.

You can also get just a cross bar seat and a foot rest at attached to your bottle cage mounts for when they are a bit bigger. I managed to carry the wife on one of these, but not recommended. :smile:

Top Bottom