Child trailer v child seat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alpgirl

We used seats with our two. They never liked trailers when we hired them. They were quite happy to fall asleep in the seat. We used a Taxi Co Driver with a blackburn rack.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
@400bhp got an adventure duo second hand recently - although bottom of the range it's perfectly good and I managed to get a raincover for £12. Kids love it - sorted!

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I now have an Adventure AT1 - used it twice so far and am very happy with it - boy is it heavy..reckon my average is 12 with that on. :sweat:

One thing I'm not happy on though - the link that fits to the bike. It comes undone pretty easily, meaning my back wheel pops out of the stays (done it on both rides I have done so far). The second time I put it on very tight, so much so I think I slightly bent the stays - still came undone though.:rolleyes:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I now have an Adventure AT1 - used it twice so far and am very happy with it - boy is it heavy..reckon my average is 12 with that on. :sweat:

One thing I'm not happy on though - the link that fits to the bike. It comes undone pretty easily, meaning my back wheel pops out of the stays (done it on both rides I have done so far). The second time I put it on very tight, so much so I think I slightly bent the stays - still came undone though.:rolleyes:

Blimey, this has never happened to me in 2 years of useage. What type of dropouts do you have on your bike?
When you say link, are you talking about the steel bracket? I don't understand when you say it comes undone. Do you mean your quick release lever comes undone? And don't understand how you bent the seat stays as the trailer does not attached to any of the seat stays.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Blimey, this has never happened to me in 2 years of useage. What type of dropouts do you have on your bike?
When you say link, are you talking about the steel bracket? I don't understand when you say it comes undone. Do you mean your quick release lever comes undone? And don't understand how you bent the seat stays as the trailer does not attached to any of the seat stays.

Yes essentially the quick release lever comes undone - not the seat stays, the stays that hold the wheel (axle) in place.

I wonder if it the quick release bolts? They have a separate sizeable washer with them, rather than being a whole unit.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes essentially the quick release lever comes undone - not the seat stays, the stays that hold the wheel (axle) in place.

I wonder if it the quick release bolts? They have a separate sizeable washer with them, rather than being a whole unit.

It could be.
Try using a better quality QR lever.
Though the lever I have on my bike is the stock one it came with.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Thanks - luckily I have a spare set (Shimano) ones in the garage, the "washer" is part of the qr lever rather than being separate.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Do you put a washer between the steel bracket and your frame?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do you put a washer between the steel bracket and your frame?

No, just a norm QR lever.
Here, just took a pic. The bracket is left on the bike all the time.

SDC13156.jpg

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
I tried a Shimano skewer I had from a spare wheelset - trouble is it is about 5 mm too short. However, the fact that it doesn't have a separate washer makes a difference. I've just ordered a longer set of skewers from Chainreaction cyles here. Will see how it goes.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I tried a Shimano skewer I had from a spare wheelset - trouble is it is about 5 mm too short. However, the fact that it doesn't have a separate washer makes a difference. I've just ordered a longer set of skewers from Chainreaction cyles here. Will see how it goes.

Yup, that should do it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano QR's are very good being one piece (cam built in) - I don't like the two piece ones - I've had them come undone whilst watching it slowly flip over...

Top Bottom