Children and grandchildren.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When you have children, you have car seats in your car for their own safety, fine. Then they grow up so the back seat of your car is free from cluter until..... ...... they have their own children and then the process starts again to carry the grandchildren in your car! By the time they grow up themselves, your life is nearly over!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I remember trying to convince my parents that yes they did need to put car seats in their car when they carried my kids as it was required by law... They just kept on saying how we had been fine rolling along the back seat of a cortina! Good job there weren't car child seats as there were 4 of us eventually on that back seat! And no seat belts!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Our children are grown up but we have no grandchildren as yet.....so we've got that to look forward to. When the kids were young we had a VW camper van, which was great because the children's seats were right in the back, a very long way from us. They could fight and scream and we were largely able to ignore it.

Was it this one?

f4e2a6a2edb8aafc6fa9e3978742c45b.jpg

Last edited:

steve50

Disenchanted Member
My kids are all grown up and we have seven grandchildren five of which live in the UK and the other two in Australia, my wife and i were plodding along just fine enjoying having the grand kids and handing them back at the end of the day / week whichever it happened to be when fate decided to give us another little one to raise. His name is Andrew and he is currently three and a half years old (my threenager) with a teenagers attitude and cheek. We had him placed with us two years ago which was a massive life changing event and we are currently in the process of getting an SGO which will give us full parental responsibility over him. so we went from child seats in the car to having a car that was pretty much clean all the time to now having a childseat permanently fitted (for now) and toys / mess all over the car floor and life just is not the same as we anticipated two years ago.

My 2 g/children arrive from Canada on Monday. I've assembled the new bouncer seat (the one we had was worn put 30 yrs ago!) and tomorrow, after cleaning the car, I'll have to work out how to fit the car seat.
Just about finished a major house clean and tidy, dug out the wooden bricks, the Brio railway and the Lego. Bought some toy cars. Now have to convert my home office back into a bedroom using the futon bed bought for just that purpose.

Sandra6

Veteran
My 2 g/children arrive from Canada on Monday. I've assembled the new bouncer seat (the one we had was worn put 30 yrs ago!) and tomorrow, after cleaning the car, I'll have to work out how to fit the car seat.
Just about finished a major house clean and tidy, dug out the wooden bricks, the Brio railway and the Lego. Bought some toy cars. Now have to convert my home office back into a bedroom using the futon bed bought for just that purpose.
If you're struggling with the seat you can go to Halfords and they'll check its in properly for you.
Around 75% of seats in use are incorrectly fitted so its worth double checking.
If you're fitting it yourself then there are you tube clips to help. Always make sure the car headrest is removed or clear of the back of the seat first and when it's in place grip the harness and pull, if the seat moves, it doesn't fit.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
When i where a lad i used to be in the back with the seats folded down so i could play with the dogs . Mum used to always pour dad a scotch and water while he drove up the motorway to york . This probably belongs in the 1970's thread :laugh:

Brains

Legendary Member
i remember regular trans-European trips with two or three adults and three or four kids under 12 in a ford cortina estate, no seat belts in the back and the two smallest kids lying on top of the luggage in the back!

i also remember driving back from gigs 200+ miles from home in a ford transit with sliding front doors, two seats in the front, none at the back, loaded not only with all the kit, lights, speakers and the entire band, backing singers, manager but also a few mates caging a lift home.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i remember regular trans-European trips with two or three adults and three or four kids under 12 in a ford cortina estate, no seat belts in the back and the two smallest kids lying on top of the luggage in the back!

i also remember driving back from gigs 200+ miles from home in a ford transit with sliding front doors, two seats in the front, none at the back, loaded not only with all the kit, lights, speakers and the entire band, backing singers, manager but also a few mates caging a lift home.

those were the days my friend

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Our children are grown up but we have no grandchildren as yet.....so we've got that to look forward to. When the kids were young we had a VW camper van, which was great because the children's seats were right in the back, a very long way from us. They could fight and scream and we were largely able to ignore it.

We have 3 grandchildren and we are loving this stage of our lives with them. The best thing with grandchildren is that when we need a break at the end of a long day they go back to their house :smile: but soon after, I want them back in the house with us. We are very much hands on grandparents :smile: at least with two of them, the other one lives in London.

The eldest one just started school so it has been very exciting times for all of us. Interesting to see new parents behaviour when living their kids for the first time at school :smile: we have been there and done that a few times before so we were totally relaxed. The Bournemouth FC manager was there dropping his child off too..... the last time I saw him in the flesh was when he was just a teenager and we were watching his brother and my son play a youth cup final :smile: ..... and yesterday, for Reuben's first church activity, we saw an old neighbour with his grandchild..... the last time we saw him, neither of us had grandchildren :smile:

I want some more grandchildren lol

Top Bottom