Children Of Men

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i thought it was good too. Particularly liked Clive Owen in the lead role, but then i find him very easy on the eye :ohmy:

mondobongo

Über Member
Good film, Michael Caine makes a great ageing hippy, like most of Clive Owens films although sussed out Inside Man from the opening credits.

SamNichols

A pretty good film: Clive Owen can be terrible, but given the right role he can be great, cases in point are this and Closer. This puts a nice twist on the Dystopian themes, but also with that element of hope at the end which is absent from a great deal of futuristic visions (e.g. 1984, Blade Runner). The psudo-documentary style of shooting is also effective, as it is in Paul Greengrass's films, and Alphonso Cuaron is one of the more exciting directors in Hollywood at the moment. A good film, not flawless, but good.

Brock

I loved it for the long action scenes with no cuts, amazingly well choreographed, and loads of background detail that make it worth watching multiple times.
Even Clive Owen managed not to ruin it, astonishing.

Mortiroloboy

Bits of the film ( I haven't seen it, so I'm not certain which bits) were filmed in the disused Barracks ( Montgomery Lines) at Aldershit :wacko: Aldershot.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Clive Owen used to drink at the same pub as me in Coventry. He talked about making it big as an actor one day. Yeah, yeah, sure Clive...

A few years earlier a bunch of local musicians used to hang out at the same pub. They were going to make it big one day. They were called The Automatics. Yeah, yeah, I mean - has anyone ever heard of them? Maybe not, but then they changed their name to The Specials...

Work hard and make your dreams come true folks.

Zoiders

Clive owen was very good as the Professor in The Bourne Identity

But then again he only had about three lines in the whole film...hmmm

There may be something in that

Anyhoo, I got to read the script to Children Of Men when the casting was being done, I thought at the time it would be either very very good, or it would be a complete turd, nothing in the middle. Thankfully it turned out to be the first one

Clive Owen = good. I particularly like him in Chancer - he made it in that City high flyer series I think, called "--------------"? (Come on team)
But he played a bit part whe n (polite mode) overshadowed by Kirstin Scott Thomas (ooo gone all shaky :biggrin: ) in that naughty film called "---------" ? (I am such a TV/Film buff ;) )

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
Brock said:
I loved it for the long action scenes with no cuts, amazingly well choreographed, and loads of background detail that make it worth watching multiple times.
Even Clive Owen managed not to ruin it, astonishing.
It looked a bit like a graphic novel and yes, I'd bet that there's a lot of detail in the background that would bear further scrutiny.

Coventry....<shudder>;)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Chuffy said:
Coventry....<shudder>;)
Agreed! I lived there for 21 years before coming oop north to university and I certainly didn't want to go back to live there after I graduated. I love the hills of Yorkshire, Lancashire and Derbyshire which now surround me. Somehow these days, the Midlands just seems so, er... flat.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good thing about Coventry was its important role in the early bicycle industry, but even that was kind of spoilt when it mutated into the car industry!

Great movie, I've just finished watching with 3 month old TI junior in the crib next to me *sniff, wipes eye*.

I loved the "London 2012" sweatshirt. Just Cuaron's way of saying "All the stuff we are showing you is already here".

And I'm pretty sure that Jasper's car was a disguised Citroen CX.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The original book by P.D. James was massively nicked off Brian Aldiss's 1960s Science Fiction classic, Greybeard. However because he was an SF writer and P.D. James was a London literary scenester, she got away with it, even doing the usual thing of denying that her book had anything to do with SF... Brian Aldiss also happens to be a far braver and better writer, whatever genre he writes in (try Barefoot in the Head...).

Top Bottom