Chilling Insight....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I find the discussion on this CuttingEdge Muscle forum pretty depressing and not at all easy to ignore. Although it's on a bodybuilding site, it relates to endurance athletes and from their 'user names' and details, seem to be mainly cyclists. But most disturbing is the casual and matter of fact way it's all being discussed.

They're obviously not 'pros', so are these the guys that drop you in a Cat 3 race, local 10TT, on the Etape or even club chain gang?

Somehow I find this worse than any TdF scandal. Or is it just me?

http://www.cuttingedgemuscle.com/Forum/showthread.php?threadid=18583

chris42

Wow!

Keith Oates

Janner
That is pretty depressing reading indeed and that some are probably cyclists, for us makes it worse. Should there, or is there, a way whereby manufacturers are only allowed to supply recognised medical outlets or is that being too naive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tetedelacourse

I am not a competitive cyclist and even so I am sickened to the back teeth at that. If I were competing I would be moved to try and expose as many as possible.

vbc

My wife was talking to a colleague at work last year about his wife who is a talented amateur biker and went to the same club as one of our top women pro riders when they were kids, still trains with her at times.

Anyway, this guy was saying about his wife having not ridden for a while because she'd been ill. It turns out that her trainer wanted her to take testosterone, to help her 'get better quickly'.

This is one of the reasons that I've never wanted to do any sort of racing or even join a club - that and the fact that I'm crap also had something to do with it.

chris42

vbc said:
My wife was talking to a colleague at work last year about his wife who is a talented amateur biker and went to the same club as one of our top women pro riders when they were kids, still trains with her at times.

Anyway, this guy was saying about his wife having not ridden for a while because she'd been ill. It turns out that her trainer wanted her to take testosterone, to help her 'get better quickly'.

This is one of the reasons that I've never wanted to do any sort of racing or even join a club - that and the fact that I'm crap also had something to do with it.

so she reported him to british cycling and he has been arrested?

If not then she is saying his actions are acceptable!

If the sport is serious about getting clean then this is what needs to happen!

col

Legendary Member
I think the use of steroids is rife in the bodybuilding world im afraid,nearly everyone who bodybuilds ,that i know of, use them in some form or other to get results quick.im ashamed to say that twelve years ago i did use them too,to a lesser extent than the lads i knew,no excuses,but i was pulled into the ,its not really that bad,type of scenario.The results i got were impressive,but not worth the risk or possible side effects.Its a sad truth,but they are everywhere,aspecially where competative or professional people compete.If there is a total ban on them,some sports would dissapear i think.In fact i dont think its illegal to have them,just to sell them or use them,and going on the magnitude of the problem ,it would be impossible to police effectively i think.( i like say i think)

col

Legendary Member
Mainly medical,where people need help in building up and getting strong again maybe?

chris42

col said:
I think the use of steroids is rife in the bodybuilding world im afraid,nearly everyone who bodybuilds ,that i know of, use them in some form or other to get results quick.im ashamed to say that twelve years ago i did use them too,to a lesser extent than the lads i knew,no excuses,but i was pulled into the ,its not really that bad,type of scenario.The results i got were impressive,but not worth the risk or possible side effects.Its a sad truth,but they are everywhere,aspecially where competative or professional people compete.If there is a total ban on them,some sports would dissapear i think.In fact i dont think its illegal to have them,just to sell them or use them,and going on the magnitude of the problem ,it would be impossible to police effectively i think.( i like say i think)

You are so right.
I also dabbled with 8 weeks of roids when involved with a gym.

LOGAN 5

Read several posts on the Cutting Edge muscle boards and so many revolve around drug taking in almost any sport! Why? I used to powerlift and never ever used anything. Those around me were certainly taking gear and some of the women grew stubble and had deep manly voices - irreversible too! Can't understand why you'd want to take something just to compete. You haven't won if you have to take drugs to do it. Many of the people posting on that board taking drugs were only amateurs and competing at local events which is even more senseless - if that's possible. All of them cheats and liars.

Really disappointed watching the TdF this year with all the drugs scandals. I just wondered at the end what I'd been watching and who was the real winner?

Made me think that maybe with drugs being so prevalent in cycling perhaps Lance did take something to be as good as he was for so long. With most of the top riders on something then surely he must have been to be able to compete with them. He was from the older generation too when it was much more likely riders were on gear. Would like to think he didn't but who knows.

Top Bottom