Chinese Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ziggys101

Über Member
Hi I just got to test out these clincher rims BladeX 450G , It has some serious safety issue . The Basalt coating caused the brake to be jammed under friction, causing my bike to lost control . I am using the brake pad provided from the manufacturer.

Here is a video on it : http://www.mediafire.com/watch/y0496g1o78ddgac/20140215_162716.mp4.

Also , I have brought my bike to the shop and swapped brake pads and brake caliper , problem still persisted. The owner is kind enough to to let me try out a zipp 404 carbon clincher and true enough it is the basalt coating problem as the zipp 404 works perfect ! even with the brake pad provided .

Anyone has any experience on this ? I am thinking to get a full refund. I almost crashed head-on to a car because of this.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Wow, No did about 1000 miles on the BladeX 450C last summer and no issues at all, if you contact them from what I've seen on their facebook account the after service is pretty good.

sean8997

MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3
Sportpursuit.com have Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLS WTS wheelsets on offer at the mo at £686 thinking about a set of these myself

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Hi I just got to test out these clincher rims BladeX 450G , It has some serious safety issue . The Basalt coating caused the brake to be jammed under friction, causing my bike to lost control .

I ran into the back of someone ages ago at Hillingdon circuit with BladeX, looked liked he just braked really hard in an unexpected area. He said the brakes jammed.
No idea if its related

Last edited:

jojjo74

Wow, No did about 1000 miles on the BladeX 450C last summer and no issues at all, if you contact them from what I've seen on their facebook account the after service is pretty good.
Hi,
I´m thinking about ordering Bladex 438GC or 450GC. Are you still satisfied with the wheels? It seems to be very good wheels at an affordable price. I´m just a little concerned about break issues. But I have only seen one comment with that problem. Otherwise the wheels has very good reviews.

ziggys101

Über Member
Hi,
I´m thinking about ordering Bladex 438GC or 450GC. Are you still satisfied with the wheels? It seems to be very good wheels at an affordable price. I´m just a little concerned about break issues. But I have only seen one comment with that problem. Otherwise the wheels has very good reviews.

Absolutely, the only issue I've had is a broken spoke and they send you a number of spares with the wheels so that was easily solved :-). I would have no hesitation in getting another pair in the future.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Im getting a pair in 50mm 23mm wide for the 29er.........just cause they look bling and are very light, disc brakes too, so no worries on braking surface :smile:

jojjo74

Absolutely, the only issue I've had is a broken spoke and they send you a number of spares with the wheels so that was easily solved :-). I would have no hesitation in getting another pair in the future.
Ok, thanks. I ordered a pair of 450GC it will be very interesting to test them when they arrive.

idahocycle

I know this thread hasn't been active in a bit here is my experience with bladex
i was descending a 6 percent grade at about 50Mph when i developed an issue in the rear wheel got the bike slowed down to 15 mph when the rear wheel locked up and blew the tire the rim had de-laminated in about a 2 inch section. contacted bladex and was told i needed to ship it back but they felt I hit something customer service with these guys suck
as i explained that if i had hit something hard enough to do that i would have been on the ground and that it was a faulty brake strip
ataching a pic for your thoughts
P1030125.JPG

I know this thread hasn't been active in a bit here is my experience with bladex
i was descending a 6 percent grade at about 50Mph when i developed an issue in the rear wheel got the bike slowed down to 15 mph when the rear wheel locked up and blew the tire the rim had de-laminated in about a 2 inch section. contacted bladex and was told i needed to ship it back but they felt I hit something customer service with these guys suck
as i explained that if i had hit something hard enough to do that i would have been on the ground and that it was a faulty brake strip
ataching a pic for your thoughts View attachment 53126
Clincher?

Edit: I only ask as i haven't heard of these problems with Carbon tubs but i have with Clinchers. It's to do with braking temps and the rims delaminating at the braking surface.

idahocycle

Clincher?

Edit: I only ask as i haven't heard of these problems with Carbon tubs but i have with Clinchers. It's to do with braking temps and the rims delaminating at the braking surface.
yes it was a clincher
my thoughts as well on the brake strip delaminating although they claim the basalt braking strip takes a higher heat

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
One of the reasons why I saved up for a while and got the Mavic 40C's. I was worried about brake heat, but so far I'm really happy with them. not the lightest, but they're backed by MP3 cover for 3yrs (£1 for the cover via the mavic website) and they have proven braking heat resilience.

Top Bottom