Chinese Carbon Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mapster1989

Mapster1989

Thanks for all these valid points.

You're right. I'm looking for some to do some TT's on initially and then race in the future.

I have a Planet X bike at the moment so as you can tell my budget isn't massive hence why I ask about the eBay wheels.

In response to an earlier question I live out in the Peaks so long descents will be had quite regularly.

Thanks for all of your input so far.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?pid138.html

These are supposedly very good and not a bad cost for a pair....

For budget i don't think you can better the Planet X's. Seem decent quality and Planet X stand by the product. Most importantly this means dealing with a UK company should problems occur.

I have a set of 50's Tubular and they perform very well in many different scenarios. Best with the No Logo version's if you can get them.

VamP

Banned
For budget i don't think you can better the Planet X's. Seem decent quality and Planet X stand by the product. Most importantly this means dealing with a UK company should problems occur.

I have a set of 50's Tubular and they perform very well in many different scenarios. Best with the No Logo version's if you can get them.

I paid £650 for my Gigantex rimmed handbuilts with Novatech hubs and CX Rays and they weigh in at 1300g. The PX tubulars are Chinese inferior rims, you don't know who built them, they come in with unbranded hubs and spokes, weigh 1421g and retail at £500.

As always the purchaser has to judge the value but to my mind there is no comparison.

I paid £650 for my Gigantex rimmed handbuilts with Novatech hubs and CX Rays and they weigh in at 1300g. The PX tubulars are Chinese inferior rims, you don't know who built them, they come in with unbranded hubs and spokes, weigh 1421g and retail at £500.

As always the purchaser has to judge the value but to my mind there is no comparison.
I got them for £400. I would be over half the PX's again to buy Gigantex.

PX hubs have been rock solid so far and the wheels still true as bought. Put on decent rubber and you are £500 all in.
At that price, and decent performance, i cannot fault them.

If you have had both wheels then i can take your opinion based on experience, I am however still happy to ride the PX wheels often without fear of them falling to bits and having a warranty worth zilch - the latter i consider paramount and importing from China will be a risk.

VamP

Banned
I got them for £400. I would be over half the PX's again to buy Gigantex.

PX hubs have been rock solid so far and the wheels still true as bought. Put on decent rubber and you are £500 all in.
At that price, and decent performance, i cannot fault them.

If you have had both wheels then i can take your opinion based on experience, I am however still happy to ride the PX wheels often without fear of them falling to bits and having a warranty worth zilch - the latter i consider paramount and importing from China will be a risk.

Yeah at £400 they are not a bad option. Not sure if you can get them for that now though?

I believe that the PX hubs are actually Novatech too, although the problem with their own branded stuff, of course, is that they can change to another supplier without you being any the wiser.

If you've had them a while, they might even be Gigantex rims, as I believe that PX used them before they switched to Chinese suppliers. I think it's Carbontech they use mostly now, but don't take my word for it.

Of course, most of us will smash a rim rather than it falling apart by itself, and then low replacement cost becomes more important than warranty considerations. This was ultimately the main factor why I stopped looking at Zippp's/Enve's as I can replace a Gigantex rim for under £200.

Another option for the OP is to get the rims directly from China, and have a local wheelbuilder build them up on kit of his choice. That takes out a fair bit of the uncertainty.

Yeah at £400 they are not a bad option. Not sure if you can get them for that now though?

I believe that the PX hubs are actually Novatech too, although the problem with their own branded stuff, of course, is that they can change to another supplier without you being any the wiser.

If you've had them a while, they might even be Gigantex rims, as I believe that PX used them before they switched to Chinese suppliers. I think it's Carbontech they use mostly now, but don't take my word for it.

Of course, most of us will smash a rim rather than it falling apart by itself, and then low replacement cost becomes more important than warranty considerations. This was ultimately the main factor why I stopped looking at Zippp's/Enve's as I can replace a Gigantex rim for under £200.

Another option for the OP is to get the rims directly from China, and have a local wheelbuilder build them up on kit of his choice. That takes out a fair bit of the uncertainty.
Did you get them from Wheelsmith's in Scotland? If not where did you get them? I very nearly bought a set of Gigantex, and it was my belief at the time that PX rims were Gigantex too, from Wheelsmiths in Larbert. I had some questions RE spec and the guy never replied very quickly (about 9 days to reply) so i went to PX instead. I would defo consider them for another bike in the future.

PX do their wheels on special a few times a year. they drop the price to £400. That's the time to buy.

VamP

Banned
Did you get them from Wheelsmith's in Scotland? If not where did you get them? I very nearly bought a set of Gigantex, and it was my belief at the time that PX rims were Gigantex too, from Wheelsmiths in Larbert. I had some questions RE spec and the guy never replied very quickly (about 9 days to reply) so i went to PX instead. I would defo consider them for another bike in the future.

PX do their wheels on special a few times a year. they drop the price to £400. That's the time to buy.

No I got them through a local wheelbuilder, he worked out cheaper than Wheelsmith, and I could meet him easily and have a chat about spec.

VamP

Banned

No I got them through a local wheelbuilder, he worked out cheaper than Wheelsmith, and I could meet him easily and have a chat about spec.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The problem with PX wheels is that you have to deal with PX, unless you buy second hand, in which case you have no warranty anyway so may as well go with Chinese specials if warranty is your concern.

cervelo chic

I have raced and won on Chinese carbon imports (in cross winds and head winds), they perform well so not sure why people are so against them??
I cant stand my PX wheels, they don't feel as responsive as the Chinese ones and I certainly wouldn't race on them

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Most of the chinese rims will hardly vary from the PX rims in terms of design anyway, they are almost all "out of date" standard deep profile (V profile) rims. Most will be equally as lively in cross winds etc. They all basically rely on the deeper the more aero philosophy and I very much doubt many of them have any R&D behind their profile.

PhunkyPhil

Regular
I had 4 sets of wheels at the start of the month. I sold my planetX tubulars as I didn't like tubular tyres so have 3 pairs left.

I now have a £1300 pair of DuraAce C35 wheels, £1700 pair of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLRs and a cheap set of 50mm Chinese imports.

I love the imports and don't have any more difficulty in the wind with these than my 52mm Mavic wheels. Like any wheels if you get a big side wind you will get blown about. I think they are fantastic value and mine came with spare spokes which are fairly standard anyway so getting spares will be easy.

There are plenty of posts on here and other forums where people have had problems with branded wheels and I think like everything in life you will get haters and lovers.

I was speaking to the people at my LBS and they commented how the Novatec hubs are easily serviced and I've not had any problems with the,.

grandmike

Well I got a pair of BladeX Pro 450C about 3 months ago and I love them, very stable even in pretty strong winds. They are not the cheapest and work out more expensive than planet X's cheapest wheel sets but having used both I much prefer the Bladex both for the ride and looks.

Don't get me wrong if I could justify paying the best part of 2k on wheels then I would have ZIPP 404's on my bike :-)

But on a budget I personally don't think you can go wrong with these.

http://www.bladexcycle.com/carbon-wheels/pro-road-carbon-wheels.

Hi I just got to test out these clincher rims BladeX 450G , It has some serious safety issue . The Basalt coating caused the brake to be jammed under friction, causing my bike to lost control . I am using the brake pad provided from the manufacturer.

Here is a video on it : http://www.mediafire.com/watch/y0496g1o78ddgac/20140215_162716.mp4.

Also , I have brought my bike to the shop and swapped brake pads and brake caliper , problem still persisted. The owner is kind enough to to let me try out a zipp 404 carbon clincher and true enough it is the basalt coating problem as the zipp 404 works perfect ! even with the brake pad provided .

Anyone has any experience on this ? I am thinking to get a full refund. I almost crashed head-on to a car because of this.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom