chinese carbon wheels???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yeboah

looking advice from u experts out there; im a cycling novice enjoying club runs and sportives! Im thinking of upgrading the wheels on my giant tcr; im not doing time trials but would like to go faster like everyone! are these 50 mm chinese carbons only rubbish or ok for me (they do look cool;-)) 300 quid is my budget; would i be better with 35mm or mavic kyseriums????

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
some folk rate them quite highly, I suppose the question is warranty claims etc. Lets face it the majority of the carbon out there be it frames, stems, wheels etc is all made in China.I happened to be on youtube this morning watching some stuff and was watching some stuff on the chinese wheels, the owners were quite impressed, Novatec hubs etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I've just ordered a set to slap on my TT bike - 40/56mm front/rear. I'm not really bothered about how the heat up or etc on braking as you dont do much of that in TT's. Also they have a high weight rider limit on them too. if they last me all this season, then i think they will be worth the money. if they break after the first ride then i know not to bother again and buy something were they have invested heavily in their R&D

they should be with me in a few days, so i'll post up a picture of them and give a little review of what i think out of the box

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on where they come from... some will be good, others not so. Do your research and you should be fine. Planet X wheels and many more like them etc are just Chinese imports with a logo slapped on them.

I believe wet weather braking is pants on carbon rims ? maybe ill informed ?

It is not the best generally speaking.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
as per @Rob3rt its all according what carbon rims your running - the ones on my best bike, brake pretty well in the wet now i have fitted swisstop yellows, you just need to make sure you anticipate your braking a little more and feather the brakes to get rid of the moisture, before applying the brakes fully

TBH all road bike's are difficult to stop in wet conditions though

OP
OP
Y

yeboah

thanks lads; seems a positive enough reaction; gonna chance a set , sure whats not made in china nowadays:-)

Globalti

Legendary Member
A pal of mine who is a former British national hillclimb champion bought a set and likes them; on delivery he found that one spoke was tensioned completely wrong but once that was corrected they were prefect.

I've heard good reviews on Chinese carbon and nightmare reviews; if you are not racing, being a cautious individual my self, I would go for something proven like 35mm Fulcrum Quattros. FWIW, I put Quattros on my bike last year and knocked over 30secs of my TT pb the week before on the same course.

gingejp

My advice on buying carbon parts directly from china. Don't do it. This happened and is due to a defective rim. The front is starting o do exactly the same thing in exactly the same place. To sort it out I have to pay postage in both directions, circa £130. I suggested they just post me out 2 new rims, but they refuse to do that. I bought the rims from ebay 'arron-bike' which is the ebay division of a company called d-bike.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/arron-bike

www.d-bike.com

I haven't hit anything with these wheels, it's just poor quality manufacturing.

Rearwheel.jpg

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Yep that for me is a very good reason for not buying. Expensive warranty returns etc. However there are probably others whom have had no issues. Gamble really!

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
My advice on buying carbon parts directly from china. Don't do it. This happened and is due to a defective rim. The front is starting o do exactly the same thing in exactly the same place. To sort it out I have to pay postage in both directions, circa £130. I suggested they just post me out 2 new rims, but they refuse to do that. I bought the rims from ebay 'arron-bike' which is the ebay division of a company called d-bike.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/arron-bike

www.d-bike.

Can see why you bought much cheapness. I wonder how these wheels deal with heat?

Top Bottom