chinese carbon wheels???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gingejp

I sincerely hope you have no issues 'Stu Plows'. They look great and roll well, if a little noisy. I'm sure yours will be fine and I've just been unlucky.

Be warned though that with the returns policy, you basically have no guarantee.

gingejp

After posts from others in reply to :-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12965272&p=18822046#p18822046

A piece of advice would be to check up on the returns policy in event of a warranty claim. If the seller insists you send the item back at your expense, then go elsewhere as it will cost you more than the failed rim is worth. Farsports have been mentioned as a company that will post you out a replacement, without need to return the wheel first.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Anyone can get unlucky with something like that above I suppose.

I would say though, I have a friend who imports Chinese components. He tests them and races on them himself (he is a short 19 minute man and quite frankly the most anal person I have ever met regarding bike equipment and saving half a watt here and a watt there etc, so he would hardly ride something he thought was a competitive disadvantage). He offers 2 years warranty, is based in the UK and visits China (in fact he is there right now) looking at the factories and whatnot choosing products to import and manufacturers to work with.

What do you think Planet X wheels etc are? Just generic Chinese imports that have been badged up.

If you want to minimise risk, buy tubulars. Deep section wheels are essentially racing wheels after all!

VamP reviewed some on here and CX raced them. He's not been around for a couple of months though so no recent updates.

Vamp is banned, he won't be back anytime soon! Although I can probably put you or anyone in touch with him if you need him for something.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I would say though, I have a friend who imports Chinese components. He tests them and races on them himself (he is a short 19 minute man and quite frankly the most anal person I have ever met regarding bike equipment and saving half a watt here and a watt there etc, so he would hardly ride something he thought was a competitive disadvantage). He offers 2 years warranty, is based in the UK and visits China (in fact he is there right now) looking at the factories and whatnot choosing products to import and manufacturers to work with.

What do you think Planet X wheels etc are? Just generic Chinese imports that have been badged up.

If you want to minimise risk, buy tubulars. Deep section wheels are essentially racing wheels after all!

Vamp is banned, he won't be back anytime soon! Although I can probably put you or anyone in touch with him if you need him for something.
Didn't realise he got banned, his profile doesn't say he is a guest like most of the people who depart so assumed he was just taking a break or got pissed off with it. Always seemed a good contributor to the forum with a sound practical insight based on real world experience.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If I remember correctly, they're built in the UK by PX staff...

Built as in the actual lacing or the carbon rim being manufactured in house?

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
I sincerely hope you have no issues 'Stu Plows'. They look great and roll well, if a little noisy. I'm sure yours will be fine and I've just been unlucky.

Be warned though that with the returns policy, you basically have no guarantee.
Thank you for the warning.

I've ordered some tubulars. If they become a bad egg, they do, it's my fault for buying cheap. At the end of the day, China supply a lot of the people like Planet X etc and I have heard some good reviews on some of the stuff. It'll be a lesson learned if I have a bad experience.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member

So not these ones then.................. “38mm carbon & alloy clincher wheels(1410g +/-30g)”
http://wheelsfar.com/38mm-carbon-al...g-p-249:c052b6e266a2b109a105d873566ac551.html

Wouldnt want to spend that much money and only be able to ride them now and again at races.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So not these ones then.................. “38mm carbon & alloy clincher wheels(1410g +/-30g)”
http://wheelsfar.com/38mm-carbon-al...g-p-249:c052b6e266a2b109a105d873566ac551.html

Wouldnt want to spend that much money and only be able to ride them now and again at races.

I wouldn't buy those no. Not deep enough to be worth it aero wise and not light for the money.

It is your choice how you use wheels etc, you could train and race on the same wheels, but it will influence the choice on wheels you buy as you will need to take training needs into consideration. Personally I want the best wheel I can have during a race and the rest of the time, so long as it works, I don't really care. As such I race on tubulars because I can get more wheel for my money that way.

Top Bottom