Chinese ebay economics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I recently bought some PCB from China to repair an old record player. They did take an age to come but they worked fine. No doubt if I'd tried to buy similar from a hi-fi shop it would have been the same PCBs at 10 times the cost.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 4725696, member: 9609"]my last hong kong sourced item took 8 days so must have been airfreight. It was under half the price of the same sourced in UK. The rub is if it arrives broken because you would have to pay return postage of £40+ (which aint much use if it only cost 25). Luckily every thing I have source from the far east has arived perfect, I will get me fingers burnt at some point though.[/QUOTE]
If you buy Chinese stuff on ebay and there is a problem, the vendors are usually very keen not to get negative feedback. I was sent the wrong type of stainless steel temperature probe (£5 including shipping). When I politely explained the return shipping costs, they agreed to send me the correct item anyway.

tyred

Legendary Member
Thinking about what I've said above, I have changed my mind. A shop would have tried to talk me into buying a new record player instead of selling me bits to fix an old one due to the throwaway nature of our society.

My time at Royal Mail had me running one or two Delivery offices,as the relief manager.As the PHG Postman Higher Grade i also dealt with customs and Royal Mail charges,which then were humongous i thought anyway.Do these items bought from China,do they incur any excess charges.
No, usually junk from the US that attracts the attention HMRC that I can remember from my time as a PHG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No, usually junk from the US that attracts the attention HMRC that I can remember from my time as a PHG
I vaguely remember looking into the value limit that doesn't attract import duty etc from outside the EU......before my eyes glazed over and sleep took me.

It's about £23 or something. That could be entirely wrong.

Dave7

Legendary Member
My self and another person used to manufacture a certain product that COST US £22.00 per running metre to make.
We fell out (over some money he took without asking) so I got a guy in China to make the identical product for me...........it then cost me only £12.00 per metre including delivery. The first batch was a bit rough but after sending him photos and instructions etc. it was every bit as good as ours had been.
He came to visit me..........a lovely guy.

Top Bottom