1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chinese New Year

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Keith Oates, 6 Feb 2008.

1. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Tonight out here it New Years eve and already the fireworks are lighting up the sky and the bangs are loud. It's only 20.20 hours so goodness knows what it will be like in about three hours time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU

2. Maz

Maz Guru

Happy New Year, KO. I knew it was close, but didn't realise it was tomorrow.

Being nosey but what are you doing in China? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to...just say something mysterious-sounding or whatever.

3. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Year of the Rat I think. Wot's a rat got to do with it?

Rats - another year in China :ohmy: :ohmy: perhaps?????

4. Kung Hei Fat Choi - or a derivative... I work with several Chinese people who are taking time off...lazy sods :ohmy: Makes Chinatown here in London a "little bit busy".

5. Pete

Pete Guest

Happy....

[​IMG]

...everyone! :ohmy:

6. Landslide

Landslide Rare Migrant

7. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Mysterious sounding;) but I've been here a few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Kung Hai Fat Choi to you also but that's Hong Kong ( Cantonese) not Mandarin, not to worry every one is welcome, it's a very big night out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Hoorah. This is the excuse I need to have a Chinese Takeaway (bit of a treat at the moment, cash wise).

Happy Ratty New Year!

Come on then Keith, what is happy new year in Mandarin then? Although from what I know of Chinese, the intonation is as important as the pronounciation.

10. OP
    OP
    Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

You're right Arch, but after a (good) few beers I don't recall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Pete

Pete Guest

...just so long as the takeaway isn't made from bits of the animal being celebrated ...:biggrin:
    Might be better to wait till next year (Year of the Ox). Can't go wrong then. As for me - I'd probably have to wait until Year of the Dragon...

12. summerdays

summerdays Cycling in the sun Staff Member

First I knew of it, was one of my children coming home with Chinese sweets to celebrate the New Year.

What determines when the New Year is ... is it a movable feast like Easter and pancake day?

13. Ef yew ku ki boi ? :smile: (Porobably not...:biggrin: )

14. Arch

Not sure - it's usually about this time of year...

<goes away to google>

15. Arch

Apparently the Chinese calendar is lunisolar, based on the phases of the moon and on the sun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunisolar_calendar

So I guess the Chinese new year will be moveable, against our calendar (which is solar). But perhaps not as much as a purely Lunar calendar like the Islamic one?