Chinese New Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
Tonight out here it New Years eve and already the fireworks are lighting up the sky and the bangs are loud. It's only 20.20 hours so goodness knows what it will be like in about three hours time.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR TO ALL OF YOU

Maz

Guru
Happy New Year, KO. I knew it was close, but didn't realise it was tomorrow.

Being nosey but what are you doing in China? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to...just say something mysterious-sounding or whatever.

Pete

Happy....

rat.gif

...everyone! :ohmy:

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Maz said:
Happy New Year, KO. I knew it was close, but didn't realise it was tomorrow.

Being nosey but what are you doing in China? You don't have to answer that if you don't want to...just say something mysterious-sounding or whatever.

Mysterious sounding;) but I've been here a few years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Keith Oates

Keith Oates

Janner
Aperitif said:
Kung Hei Fat Choi - or a derivative... I work with several Chinese people who are taking time off...lazy sods :biggrin: Makes Chinatown here in London a "little bit busy".

Kung Hai Fat Choi to you also but that's Hong Kong ( Cantonese) not Mandarin, not to worry every one is welcome, it's a very big night out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hoorah. This is the excuse I need to have a Chinese Takeaway (bit of a treat at the moment, cash wise).

Happy Ratty New Year!

Come on then Keith, what is happy new year in Mandarin then? Although from what I know of Chinese, the intonation is as important as the pronounciation.

Pete

Arch said:
Hoorah. This is the excuse I need to have a Chinese Takeaway (bit of a treat at the moment, cash wise).
...just so long as the takeaway isn't made from bits of the animal being celebrated ...:biggrin:
Might be better to wait till next year (Year of the Ox). Can't go wrong then. As for me - I'd probably have to wait until Year of the Dragon...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
First I knew of it, was one of my children coming home with Chinese sweets to celebrate the New Year.

What determines when the New Year is ... is it a movable feast like Easter and pancake day?

Arch said:

Happy Ratty New Year!

Come on then Keith, what is happy new year in Mandarin then? Although from what I know of Chinese, the intonation is as important as the pronounciation.

Ef yew ku ki boi ? :smile: (Porobably not...:biggrin: )

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
First I knew of it, was one of my children coming home with Chinese sweets to celebrate the New Year.

What determines when the New Year is ... is it a movable feast like Easter and pancake day?

Not sure - it's usually about this time of year...

<goes away to google>

Top Bottom