chip shop curry sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I wonder if it's a north/ south thing? The chippies used to do it where I lived in Lancashire, but you don't tend to see it in Bristol.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
As a kid the local chip shop owner used to test the temperature of the oil by gobbing into the fryer in full view of her customers - it imparted a unique taste to the resulting chips especially when she had a heavy cold!

Bodhbh

Guru
I never could stand it, although all the talk is giving me a craving for some. Mushy peas for me on the chips.

MessenJah

Rider
chips and gravy is nice,

its when you start with the cheese on top of that, that youre a northern freak asking for a tripple hearte byebye

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Dalestar said:
I remeber working in Burford Oxfordshire and asking for Chips and Gravy, the chippy owner looked at me like i was a freak.

Chips and gravy is a staple diet in my neck of the woods but does not seem to travel to the South.

Yes but that's Burford for you where the average age of the resident is 127 and they're all more posh than Brian Sewell!!

paddy01

I can confirm it does exist in normal chippies in the south.. I was in one only yesterday :biggrin:

Come the revolution however, the inventor of Chips 'n' Cheese will be first up against the wall.

Ranger

Chips, faggots and gravy (only available in small Midlands towns in my experience), curry sauce over the top of a battered sausage so the batter goes soft. :becool: any of those is the food of the gods

I have a recipe for chip shop curry sauce at home and will look it out for you all.

Bodhbh

Guru
paddy01 said:
Come the revolution however, the inventor of Chips 'n' Cheese will be first up against the wall.
And whoever thought to put fish and fishcakes in breadcrumbs.

yello

Not a fan of chips & curry sauce but it seems to have been around for quite a while. I'm not really a fan of chips to be honest but I'd sometimes have chips and peas. That was quite good with vinegar.

I was having lunch last week (French cafe/restaurant) and people seemed to be eating chips and peas... I was quite taken aback. Turned out to be 'noisettes de pomme de terre et courgette purée' ... so there you go. Chips and peas French style!

Kovu

Über Member
Can't do chips and gravy, can't even stomach it, it's just wrong.
BUT I can do chips and curry sauce, that's not half bad.

Top Bottom