Chiropractors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trickedem

Guru
Whilst I don't like the mumbo jumbo pseudo science of Chiropractic. I had a prolapsed disk that was agony, to the point I could hardly walk and I got immediate pain relief from each appointment. After 3 or 4 sessions I stopped going, but would probably go back if I had a reoccurrence.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
same period of crap ideas such as osteopathy, naturopathy and homeopathy.
Different things work for different people. My Dad had acid reflux for 10 years, NHS just prescribed him Gaviscon every time. He saw a homeopath and was better within 3 months, and it has never returned. I think an open mind is key and if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone. Backs and spines are a little different though, whereas homeopaths use natural remedies that are less likely to cause you any harm

Slick

Guru
Whilst I don't like the mumbo jumbo pseudo science of Chiropractic. I had a prolapsed disk that was agony, to the point I could hardly walk and I got immediate pain relief from each appointment. After 3 or 4 sessions I stopped going, but would probably go back if I had a reoccurrence.
Mumbo jumbo that cured you and you still don't like it. Lol

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
homeopaths use natural remedies

Homeopaths use water. I guess that's natural.

It's not about "different things for different people"; homeopathy does not work. For some people, they'll decide it has worked, some people happen to get better at the same time and ascribe it to the treatment, but homeopathy itself does not work. It's been extensively studied and the evidence is extremely clear.

si_c

Guru
Different things work for different people. My Dad had acid reflux for 10 years, NHS just prescribed him Gaviscon every time. He saw a homeopath and was better within 3 months, and it has never returned. I think an open mind is key and if it doesn't work for you then it doesn't mean it doesn't work for everyone. Backs and spines are a little different though, whereas homeopaths use natural remedies that are less likely to cause you any harm
Just because you get better doesn't mean that it worked. Anecdote vs evidence.

A lot of people like homeopathic cold medicine because it's "natural" and their cold goes away. The fact that the cold would have gone away anyway is somehow dismissed as the pills worked. There is no active ingredient in homeopathy so any benefit is entirely placebo.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Homeopaths use water.
Have you ever been treated by a homeopath? They do not use water. There is a huge range of pills and potions, derived from natural ingredients. My Dad was taking 3 different pills for 3 months. I fail to see how getting rid of a dibilitating condition in 3 months, that had previously lasted for 10 years, is purely by chance or from a placebo effect. If you don't believe in it, fine, but have you ever thought who funds the research that disproves alternative therapies? Would it be the multi-billion pound pharmaceutical industry by any chance?

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just because you get better doesn't mean that it worked. Anecdote vs evidence.

A lot of people like homeopathic cold medicine because it's "natural" and their cold goes away. The fact that the cold would have gone away anyway is somehow dismissed as the pills worked. There is no active ingredient in homeopathy so any benefit is entirely placebo.
After 10 years it didn't get better, and after 3 months of homeopathic treatment it did get better. That is too much of a concidence if you ask me. And this wasn't "a cold". It was a debiliating condition where my Dad could hardly eat anything without it feeling like molten lava. Why does it upset you so much that some people can find alternative tretments that are successful, rather than it costing the NHS to treat my dad with unsuccessful treatments?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Have you ever been treated by a homeopath? They do not use water. There is a huge range of pills and potions, derived from natural ingredients. My Dad was taking 3 different pills for 3 months. I fail to see how getting rid of a dibilitating condition in 3 months, that had previously lasted for 10 years, is purely by chance or from a placebo effect. If you don't believe in it, fine, but have you ever thought who funds the research that disproves alternative therapies? Would it be the multi-billion pound pharmaceutical industry by any chance?

The principle of homeopathy is that the active is diluted to concentrations below a single molecule in water.

Homeopathy, and "alternative" (i.e. not evidence based) treatment has not been much studied by pharmaceutical companies - as fine upstanding capitalists they'd never waste their money on it, preferring things which can be demonstrated to show an effect.

And yes, it is entirely plausible that the status of a long running condition changing at the same time as trying a treatment is coincidental. It's also plausible that it was perception rather than reality. It is, however, entirely implausible that dosing not a single molecule of a substance but relying on its "energy" imputed historically to a diluent had any effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathic_dilutions

Drago

Legendary Member
A correlation of 1:1 from a single sample isn't exactly compelling. By that measure you could say my piles cleared up withing 3 months of buying a new shotgun must be concrete proof of the curative effects of Beretta.

I'm pleased your Dad recovered, but if you advanced that as an argument in scientific company you'd be laughed at.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Who said I was presenting this to the Lancet? I'm simply saying that it works for some people, and has done for other members of my family too. Who cares if there's no scientific basis - the outcome was achieved, which is more than was offered by the various GPs my dad saw.

si_c

Guru
Who said I was presenting this to the Lancet? I'm simply saying that it works for some people, and has done for other members of my family too. Who cares if there's no scientific basis - the outcome was achieved, which is more than was offered by the various GPs my dad saw.
Actually it's very important that there is a scientific basis, not recommending treatments that have been shown to have no effect beyond placebo is dangerous. If you don't understand the origins of homeopathy and how it supposedly works then dont' critique people who's understanding is clearly better than yours.

Just because they now offer pills instead of water that "remembers" doesn't mean it works any better now. It's frankly just bollocks from end to end and please don't delude yourself that it's not.

Drago

Legendary Member
Without scientific basis we have no evidence whatsoever that the "treatment" was in any way responsible for the outcome. Sacrificing virgins and burning sandalwood in mystic ceremonies is where medicine would be today if we relied on hearsay instead of science.

Last edited:
Top Bottom