Choice of 2 bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Very similar specs, but the Carrera fork is carbon, t'other one isn't, so out of those two I'd go Carrera.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Very similar specs, but the Carrera fork is carbon, t'other one isn't, so out of those two I'd go Carrera.
the carrera doesnt have upper rack points but i can get a seatpost clamp mount point , i am just torn as i would use it for riding around with my kids on the local park / hicks lodge etc as well as mainly commuting, i prefer to carrera tbh

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
the carrera doesnt have upper rack points but i can get a seatpost clamp mount point , i am just torn as i would use it for riding around with my kids on the local park / hicks lodge etc as well as mainly commuting, i prefer to carrera tbh
P clips work really well too

DSK

Carrera looks the slightly better bike on the following two points.

Carbon forks (if that matters or not).
Puncture proof/resistant tyres is always welcome.

Usually best to either build yourself or get a proper bike shop to give it a tune up as needed if you find any niggles post purchase.

Good afternoon,

I see that you mentioned commuting and riding with the kids, even so I would wonder about the Voodoo gearing out of the box

48/32 11-34 : 11,13,15,18,21,24,28,34 Voodoo
50/34 11-28 | 11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28 Carrera

I like bigger gears than some and lower cadence and I don't think that I could ride the Voodoo enjoyably
48-13 = 100"
48-15 = 86"
48-18 = 72"

That's 2 possibly 3 gears to cover to cover flat roads and gradual inclines and then the small ring seems to offer hill climbing/long day gears or lots of big ring/small ring changes. :-)

I have 2 bikes 52/42 11-25 and 50/34 11-25 and I am still trying to work out the point of the 34 ring.

The only use that I have found for it is to pull up at a roundabout and swap rings when on a small cog. It makes starting off again easier and easy to get back to a "proper gear". :-)

Do you want a carbon fork on get bashed about bike?

Bye

Ian

Reactions: DSK

DSK

Good spot on the gear, I just saw Claris 8 speed on both and assumed they would be the same gearing. Another +1 (in my eyes) for the Carrera.

I can't say I've ever wished for more that 11-28 on the rear coupled with 50/34 rings.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Good spot on the gear, I just saw Claris 8 speed on both and assumed they would be the same gearing. Another +1 (in my eyes) for the Carrera.

I can't say I've ever wished for more that 11-28 on the rear coupled with 50/34 rings.
Both my other road bikes are 10 speed 11-28 with a compact, my current rat bike commuter is claris compact with a 12-25 and i an normally rolling along aroud 20 mph on the flat loaded in gear "5" and the big ring with full commuting gear .

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Good afternoon,

I see that you mentioned commuting and riding with the kids, even so I would wonder about the Voodoo gearing out of the box

48/32 11-34 : 11,13,15,18,21,24,28,34 Voodoo
50/34 11-28 | 11,13,15,17,19,21,24,28 Carrera

I like bigger gears than some and lower cadence and I don't think that I could ride the Voodoo enjoyably
48-13 = 100"
48-15 = 86"
48-18 = 72"

That's 2 possibly 3 gears to cover to cover flat roads and gradual inclines and then the small ring seems to offer hill climbing/long day gears or lots of big ring/small ring changes. :-)

I have 2 bikes 52/42 11-25 and 50/34 11-25 and I am still trying to work out the point of the 34 ring.

The only use that I have found for it is to pull up at a roundabout and swap rings when on a small cog. It makes starting off again easier and easy to get back to a "proper gear". :-)

Do you want a carbon fork on get bashed about bike?

Bye

Ian
well if i want the carrera i will have to wait non in stock although i can get the voodoo by next week

AndyRM

XOXO
Given the similarity in spec, it would come down to looks for me, so the Carrera wins; I really don't like that kinked downtube on the Voodoo.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Update
checked the website and they have the vanquish in stock so ordered it for next week, got another £50 of vouchers i was hoping to get some mudgaurds so i will pop into store and ask prior to collection or i will just order some tyres or summat with it.

Top Bottom