Choosing a cycle helmet - commuter or road?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Veteran
Hi

I recently bought a Specialized Centrino [edit: it's 'Centro' not centrino... physics on the brain] (black colour) helmet. It's ok for £40, but I have been more and more aware of how much (in my opinion, please no arguments!) fluorescent riders' clothes stand out when in traffic in the daytime. It also seems a bit 'perched' on my head though it's not tight. I sometimes wear a hi hiz builders bib or a Sam Browne belt (not decided which I prefer... basically neither) but generally I cycle in normal office clothes with a bulky woolen coat (in winter) or a mac in summer. My rambling point is that I suppose a fluorescent cycle helmet (i.e. bright neon or orange) combines two birds and one stone.

I'm going to buy another helmet but I can't see what's the difference between a commuter and road cycle helmet. I know the advertising guff says some stuff about lightness and air vents for the road versions, but wouldn't a commuter want that too? Any recommendations would be very welcome. I am a size 58 and ride and prefer the minimalist/compact look (i.e. not the all-over cover of the Bern skiing/skating style).

Cheers

Last edited:
Last time you posted a question about hi viz, you attacked me for taking you seriously. Are you serious this time?
This reads like an overly patronising reply to a simple, light-hearted, silly question

winjim

Smash the cistern
Last time you posted a question about hi viz, you attacked me for taking you seriously. Are you serious this time?
Yeah, that thread went really well.

A commuting helmet might have a silly flashing light on the back, and a peak to keep off the sun without having to wear dark glasses. A road helmet will be designed to look fast. I think that's probably it.

Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
The full quote:
This reads like an overly patronising reply to a simple, light-hearted, silly question. I'll assume that wasn't the intention. :smile:
Apologies if that was seen as 'attacking'. I was trying to point out that the question was light hearted and the replies could be too.

Yeah, that thread went really well.

A commuting helmet might have a silly flashing light on the back, and a peak to keep off the sun without having to wear dark glasses. A road helmet will be designed to look fast. I think that's probably it.

Not sure why dark glasses are necessary in the UK, but looking fast isn't a concern. I was wondering if they were physically smaller, because without measuring them it's hard to tell. Maybe it's just aroedynamics? (not that that is important either).

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
You can get a fluro cover for helmet that would no doubt work out a lot cheaper than buying a different coloured helmet.

I tend to favour a bright yellow Ron Hill runners wooly beanie hat for head worn visibility in dawny/dusky half daylight and suitably modest and well angled lights on a helmet when I know I'll be riding in proper dark. The helmet is immaterial other than as a high level mounting bracket.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy whichever one fits you comfortably and meets the necessary safety standards. If happy with your current helmet buy wanting hi viz, you could get a cover for it

The sun does shine in the UK so glasses are useful and they protect your eyes from grit and bugs

The full quote:

Apologies if that was seen as 'attacking'. I was trying to point out that the question was light hearted and the replies could be too.

Not sure why dark glasses are necessary in the UK, but looking fast isn't a concern. I was wondering if they were physically smaller, because without measuring them it's hard to tell. Maybe it's just aroedynamics? (not that that is important either).

Its a bit like shoes.....

They come in different fittings for the same size, some are wider, narrower, longer or shorter
However with helmets the manufacturers tend to keep the same shape.

For this reason, you may find that any of the helmets from manufacturer A will be comfortable, but all of the helmets from manufacturer B may not fit

The trick is to try them on and only buy if it is a good comfortable fit

A badly fitted helmet can cause injury

classic33

Leg End Member
Its a bit like shoes.....

They come in different fittings for the same size, some are wider, narrower, longer or shorter
However with helmets the manufacturers tend to keep the same shape.

For this reason, you may find that any of the helmets from manufacturer A will be comfortable, but all of the helmets from manufacturer B may not fit

The trick is to try them on and only buy if it is a good comfortable fit

A badly fitted helmet can cause injury
Or hurt, like shoes, causing you not to wear it. Wasting money.

That doesn't answer my question. I still can't tell if you are serious or not. Especially as a Centrino is a processor made by Intel, and a helmet is device for impact protection, not a visibility aid.

Personally, I chose Specialized, as they are the only readily available helmets in the UK that meets the Schnell standard, which is better than EN1078. And that seems to apply to all their helmets, including the Centro.

I know the advertising guff says some stuff about lightness and air vents for the road versions, but wouldn't a commuter want that too?
If you want/need that, then go for it. But I never get particularly hot or sweaty on a UK commute which takes place outside the heat of the day, and involves a lot of stops and take less than an hour. Completely different from 4 or more hours in the saddle in the heat** of the day.

Honestly, this seems as nonsensical as the thread I made the mistake of taking seriously. Find a helmet that you like, with number of vents you deem necessary, that's as "visible" as you want. But remember
**coming from (the cold part of) Australia, I'm not sure how often I can refer to the UK weather as "heat" with a straight face.

Tin Pot

Guru
That doesn't answer my question. I still can't tell if you are serious or not. Especially as a Centrino is a processor made by Intel, and a helmet is device for impact protection, not a visibility aid.

Personally, I chose Specialized, as they are the only readily available helmets in the UK that meets the Schnell standard, which is better than EN1078. And that seems to apply to all their helmets, including the Centro.

If you want/need that, then go for it. But I never get particularly hot or sweaty on a UK commute which takes place outside the heat of the day, and involves a lot of stops and take less than an hour. Completely different from 4 or more hours in the saddle in the heat** of the day.

Honestly, this seems as nonsensical as the thread I made the mistake of taking seriously. Find a helmet that you like, with number of vents you deem necessary, that's as "visible" as you want. But remember
**coming from (the cold part of) Australia, I'm not sure how often I can refer to the UK weather as "heat" with a straight face.

King Dorko. That's a keeper.

Does the "Schnell" standard apply to racing helmets?

Top Bottom