Choosing a Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The OP did mention the desire to go 'off-road' I dinnae think a 700c internal wheel is up to actual 'off-roading'.
Arch much as I admire you and am reluctant to contradict your usually excellent advice I think you are wrong about peoples' motivation for shunning hub gears. Its not about 'fashion' its about practicality and ease of use. Hub gears are a pain in the bum to remove from a bike and make mending a flat a real chore. Even for me. And I'm quite good at fixing bikes.

OP
OP
I

iwf

Thanks again for the advice.

I'm going to stay away from the hub gear. Though I think the dérailleur is more messy at least it'll be easier to change the tire, which will happen more often than I'll have need to maintain the derailleur.

I will try out a Marin this weekend, then decide based on the best ride. I guess what I'm reading is it won't matter that much 700 or 26". I'll have reasonable security at work and very good security at home.

Anyhow,having read bollo's video post I'm now thinking a camera is an essential bit of kit.

ian

iwf said:
Thanks everyone for the speedy advice

In my quest to learn everything there was to know about biking (a quest I failed miserably at, but hey I'm a boy!) I visited just about every Bike shop in London. To be fair I've only been trying them out at my local LBS in Brixton but I've listened lots..

Having now tried around 8 bikes my fav is the Sirrus, but the whole 26" argument, which given my engineering background rings a few bells has had me going.

I will go back and try out the more basic models and perhaps put more of the package price into the accessories. the great thing about the cycle to work scheme is all the bits are included. The thought that Govt will be contributing to my cycle shorts is quite amusing!

Ian

It is indeed true that they are stronger, however, on road if you hit something hard enough to damage your wheel, you will be much more concerned about whats just happened to your body.

Also Mickle, Mavic Aksium 700c wheels are often recommeneded as light use / begginner cyclo-x wheels, so must be pretty damn tough. Also mine have stayed perfectly true, straight out of the box, over 9000+km commuting+clubruns+solo rides

Personally, my ideal commuter would be something like a cyclo-x bike, with rear rack, and 700x25c Michelin P2Rs

Arch

Married to Night Train
mickle said:
The OP did mention the desire to go 'off-road' I dinnae think a 700c internal wheel is up to actual 'off-roading'.
Arch much as I admire you and am reluctant to contradict your usually excellent advice I think you are wrong about peoples' motivation for shunning hub gears. Its not about 'fashion' its about practicality and ease of use. Hub gears are a pain in the bum to remove from a bike and make mending a flat a real chore. Even for me. And I'm quite good at fixing bikes.

I was only saying.. <sniff> because the OP said he thought hub gears were 'old-fashioned'... <sniff> so I though it might be his reason...<sniff> because HE said so... <sniff>

(Hee hee, now Mickle thinks I'm crying, and in reality, I've just reached the dripping nose stage of this cold...):smile:

ratty2k

Heh, the old 26" vs 700c argument has me laughing!! I run my Kaffenback down a rough track most days going to work. 700c Mavic Askyium (sp? bit drunk!) and I run a 29er mountain bike, which is 700c wheels. Never had any issues and I'm 17st. The 29er gets jumped, ridden thro rock gardens and generally abused as a good MTB should be. No issues with strength of wheel- most of it [strength] will come from a good build anyway regardless of size.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mickle, I wouldn't say that hub gears are a pain when changing a tyre. Although I have not had one for many years, it was easy to undo the linkage and then undo the wheel nuts(shows you how long it has been) and remove the wheel as normal. As long as you do up the linkage lock nut in the same place the gears should work first time.

papercorn2000

The Hybrid Team is what I am picking up tomorrow (http://www.boardmanbikes.com/) my employer decided to go with Halfwits as their only supplier. Nevertheless, it's a good bike which will need minimal customising (Muddies, rack, cassette, tyres, bars, stem and pedals - now that I look at it, that's not minimal!)

I have a hybrid, it's a Claude Butler Odyssey, the model I have is the one without the front suspension.
The Claud Butler Oddssey is a solid bike. I paid about £200, which was reduced as they were bringing in the new Oddssey which now has front suspension.

robjs

I have a Pinnacle Mean Streak 2.0 for a hybrid - it's really nice, since it's reasonably light (11kg with pedals). It's sturdy, deals with both the roads and potholes pretty well, and rides nicely. It's also low-maintenance, since it's only got a single front derailleur, and disc brakes.

All in all, I'm happy - it fits into your £500 budget too.

byegad

Legendary Member
Another vote for Dawes Discovery here. My wife bought a 201 and the value is great, It's a really nice ride spoilt by cheap magarange gears, buy 301 or higher for a great bike.

Top Bottom