Choosing A New Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

Avoid Packard Bell like the plague.

Apple everytime by choice for me, the iMac if you want a desktop. I'm intrigued that you say your current Apple hasn't behaved - in what way? I haven't had a problem with any Apple product in years, neither has anyone else I personally know who uses Apple products.

With Apple you get the best of both worlds, Apple OS X and Windows 7 if you want it - choose which one boots by default or choose at bootup. Get an inexpensive USB external drive as well, pair it with the Time Machine backup system and you have as bulletproof and user friendly a system as money can buy.

.... oh, they look great as well.

Apple.. Apple... Apple...

threebikesmcginty said:
Generally it gets used for a bit of word processing, internet, storage of photos and music. Don't play any computer games or the like.

For what you're using it for you only really need a very basic machine.
I'm used to custom desktops as well, but have had many faithful years' service out of a Fujitsu Siemens laptop and currently fond of my Acer laptop.

I'd try support a LCS (local computer shop) rather than PC World etc if you can help it.

D

Deleted member 1258

These people are worth looking at
http://www.dinopc.com/
I brought mine from there last summer, I just brought the CPU unit and used the monitor, mouse etc from my old computer and added my own operating system.

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Debian said:
Apple everytime by choice for me, the iMac if you want a desktop. I'm intrigued that you say your current Apple hasn't behaved - in what way? I haven't had a problem with any Apple product in years, neither has anyone else I personally know who uses Apple products.

If we hadn't taken out the 'extra care' we'd have had a big bill as it stopped working completely after a couple of years. Now, when you turn it off it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get it up and running again. It makes a lot of noise some times. It looks nice but it cost a lot of money and it hasn't been reliable - not a very good product I'm afraid and we're not exactly testing it to the limits either.

rh100

With Apple, you won't get the same level of support from other users, it's easy to find someone who knows a bit about PC's, not so with Apple.

I've been building my own since about 1994, and all my PC's have evolved from the parts I've bought and upgraded over the years, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they want to learn how and see it as a bit of a hobby, there can be quite a few pitfalls and is easy to build in a bottle neck so it never runs as it should. Local shops can be great, but sadly many go out of business, so get a recomendation first rather that go into one you see in the paper etc. They may not be there in a few months. But by the same token don't expect great service from the big players like PCW and Comet.

Debian

threebikesmcginty said:
If we hadn't taken out the 'extra care' we'd have had a big bill as it stopped working completely after a couple of years. Now, when you turn it off it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get it up and running again. It makes a lot of noise some times. It looks nice but it cost a lot of money and it hasn't been reliable - not a very good product I'm afraid and we're not exactly testing it to the limits either.

Unfortunate. I haven't come across any other problems like that and I've dealt with Macs personally and professionally for years.

Sounds like it could be a hard disk problem? If so then simple to sort out - why buy new when you could almost certainly get the Mac running again for the price of a HD?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My only advice would be this:

Laptops are way less reliable than desktops. The former have to cram the electronics into a small volume, and the stuff runs hot. All electronic components have a severely reduced life at elevated temperatures. My work involves these kinds of things.

A desktop gives you the option of a 19 inch screen! Once you have used one of this size, or bigger, there really is no looking back! It's blooming luxury. Oh, yes, and you can kiss goodbye to that touch pad stuff.

One last thing. Avoid PC World. I bought a PC from them in January. It had an intermittent fault on the SD memory drive slot. Sods law being what it is, the fault never occurred when I went back to ask for a replacement. Twice, some gel-haired child said there was no problem, and refused to replace it. I guess the concept of "intermittent" was never taught to him in 11+ science, or maybe the word contained too many syllables. I took it to another PC World store and fortunately caught an American guy who had some concept of "customer service" that had not been bashed out of him. It was his first week at the store, and he gave me an immediate refund on my credit card which I swore would not be used at PCW. PCW are absolute stinkers once they close the deal. Just don't use them!

Credit where credit is due....thanks S****** of PCW, London. Top Man.

The only pc I've ever bought from PC World is this laptop I'm using now. Now has 1G of memory and on its 3rd hard disc, due to needing a bit more space over the years (the original is still working in a external caddy). Is it just the build quality of laptops now? This thing even has a desktop processor, not a mobile one, so has always run hot. i do give it a regular blow through with an airline at work though.

Having been in PC World earlier this evening and witnessed an extremely hard sell I wouldn't buy from there either now. It is handy for testing out keyboards on netbooks though, much in the same way WHSmith do trial reads of cycling mags :biggrin:. They are VERY pushy with anti-virus and extended warranties.

RyanW

The abominable Bikeman
I will offer one bit of advice, try and buy from john lewis. Great range, knowledgeable staff AND you get a free 2 year warranty.

Avoid Acer, E-machines and Packard Bell (All the same company and all shite) Dell are ok, but not as good as they once were. HP, Toshiba, samsung are all good makes, reliable with reasonable customer service. As people have said sony are ok, if you want to pay ~£100 over the odds and spend 3 hours removing all there propriety software (which slows there products down no end).

from what you have said you would make a perfect candidate for a laptop. i personally only use a PC for gaming. You will actually find laptops will work out cheaper then a desktop, although you do get "more" (Bigger hard drive, better graphics card etc) for what you do that is an irrelevance. most laptops @ ~£500 mark have 320GB-500GB hard drives which is 130,000 song or 450,000 photos.

Id suggest something along the lines of:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230878158/Product.aspx

http://www.johnlewis.com/230825426/Product.aspx

PC's are somewhat of a dying breed, you have a far better choice of laptops.

I should add (I mean why trust some nutter on a bike forum) I have spent 7 years in PC retail working for both independents, the big names and as a rep for various companies (Including acer hence avoid them.....) So my advice is pretty sound.

But as i said before john lewis all the way.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
RyanW, why piss about with a postage stamp screen and inevitably unreliable, and expensive to fix hardware if you don't need it? All the teckie specs are just willy-waving if you have no need to play games and watch movies 24/7 are they not? I think that your suggestion that PCs are finished comes from too long spent in sales....

Luddite mischief-man speaks....:ohmy:

Compaq are OK. IMVVHO.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Just a suggestion in case the OP is concerned about screen size, etc. In my office we have "docking stations" for the laptops. I'm told these are old hat but they are wonderful. Basically the monitors (19" are great), printers, back up external HDs, router etc. etc all plug into the docking station and effectively turn the laptop into a desktop. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard and away youj go. Then when you need mobility simply push a button to disconnect the laptop and taske it with you. we also have all this available at home but no one evr uses it.

At present I'm sat in a comfy arm chair with a cup of coffee. With a desktop I'd be sat at a desk etc etc. Laptop all the way for me. The convenience is the key. One aspect of which hasn't been mentioned is with a laptop you can easily connect to a modern TV and use all the functions offered in that mode.

RyanW said:
You will actually find laptops will work out cheaper then a desktop, although you do get "more" (Bigger hard drive, better graphics card etc) for what you do that is an irrelevance.

If you get more in the desktop, then it's not like for like cheaper though.
Also, with a desktop it's much easier to replace components - even for a novice (once you find out what's broken!) - or to upgrade.

rh100

PaulSB said:
Just a suggestion in case the OP is concerned about screen size, etc. In my office we have "docking stations" for the laptops. I'm told these are old hat but they are wonderful. Basically the monitors (19" are great), printers, back up external HDs, router etc. etc all plug into the docking station and effectively turn the laptop into a desktop. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard and away youj go. Then when you need mobility simply push a button to disconnect the laptop and taske it with you. we also have all this available at home but no one evr uses it.

At present I'm sat in a comfy arm chair with a cup of coffee. With a desktop I'd be sat at a desk etc etc. Laptop all the way for me. The convenience is the key. One aspect of which hasn't been mentioned is with a laptop you can easily connect to a modern TV and use all the functions offered in that mode.

Docking stations are a good tool, and by no means old hat. I had one come with my 17 inch laptop, had a n extra hard disk bay, good speakers and a tilting platform to get the screen at right height, but could easily have an external monitor and keep the lid closed instead (22 inch widescreen for about £100 odd quid). I think you can get a basic docking station that works through USB, never tried one though.

+1 for avoiding PC world.

I went there for a sales job interview about 15 years ago. The sales manager interviewing me blatantly told me that if a customer wanted to buy a PC, you had to make sure you sold them the one that made you the most commission, not the one that provided the functions the customer actually wanted.

I got offered the job, didn't take it and have never regretted it.

self-gratification artists.

Debian

trustysteed said:
+1 for avoiding PC world.

I went there for a sales job interview about 15 years ago. The sales manager interviewing me blatantly told me that if a customer wanted to buy a PC, you had to make sure you sold them the one that made you the most commission, not the one that provided the functions the customer actually wanted.

I got offered the job, didn't take it and have never regretted it.

self-gratification artists.

PC world are OK ish for emergency purchases of spare parts, home routers, bits and pieces. I'd never ever buy a PC or Mac from them though.

I still say to the OP you had a very rough deal with your Mac and if it were me I'd first look at getting the HD replaced and you'll then probably be ok with it for a couple more years.

My daughter uses an iMac at home, we've had it for about five years; it runs OS X Snow Leopard and Windows 7 perfectly happily, it's certainly as snappy as my brand new office PC at work.

Top Bottom