Choosing A New Computer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

I would say your requirements are so modest by modern standards, that the answer will be the most basic and cheapest PC you can find with a good warantee and support. That'd be a dual core cpu of 2.something or above, 2GB of RAM as a minimum

I don't build my own anymore for the simple fact it isn't economic. It's cheaper to buy a machine from a big box maker (checking out it's upgradable) and then add the extra bits you need.

Many people seem to go for a notebook with a 22-24" screen for use at home these days.

earth

My old second hand PC died for the last time recently. I've had enough of Windows so I went for the top spec iMac.

In many ways its very impressive. The hardware is close but probably not quite bleeding edge. Except for the screen - 27 inch and ultra sharp.

Out of the box you plug in the power cable, turn the wireless mouse and keyboard on then turn the mac on. It found the DHCP server in my wireless router, got an IP address used the router as the default gateway and it was straight onto the web. Seriously you plug in the power cable and turn it on, 30 seconds later it's done!

On the downside. Apple are not the guru's of user interface design as many people think. You can't highlight a file and press the delete key to delete it. Instead you have to actually drag it to the trashcan. Or setup the right mouse button click to bring up a menu with 'Move to trashcan' in it. But the popup menu is not turned on by default. You can only size windows from the corner, not the edges. An apps menu is at the top of the screen rather than at the top of the apps window. There are lots of little things that make it look like its stuck in the past. Apple bought the GUI research from Xerox and made it their own. Microsoft have reinvented their GUI over and over again and some of the things they have done are sensible.

Overall I like it though and I've only just started with it.

Jezston

Über Member
I've been on the same self-built PC since 1996, so to speak what with upgrading bits myself. Personally I like this way as I mostly know what I'm doing so it's cheaper and if something goes wrong I can usually fix it. However, not sure I would recommend this if you aren't on a crazy tight budget and you just want to get on with it. The trickiest thing about building a PC is chosing the parts, putting it together is pretty straightforwards - easier than building a bicycle.

Can't really recommend any particular brands or models as the game changes SO often, but I would say don't scrimp on costs, find some models you like the look of and post the specs here for us to disseminate.

You don't want to play fancy games on it do you?

Final bit of advice I would offer, and I cannot say this strongly enough:

DO NOT BUY YOUR PC FROM PC WORLD!

Jezston said:
I've been on the same self-built PC since 1996, so to speak what with upgrading bits myself. Personally I like this way as I mostly know what I'm doing so it's cheaper and if something goes wrong I can usually fix it. However, not sure I would recommend this if you aren't on a crazy tight budget and you just want to get on with it. The trickiest thing about building a PC is chosing the parts, putting it together is pretty straightforwards - easier than building a bicycle.

Can't really recommend any particular brands or models as the game changes SO often, but I would say don't scrimp on costs, find some models you like the look of and post the specs here for us to disseminate.

You don't want to play fancy games on it do you?

Final bit of advice I would offer, and I cannot say this strongly enough:

DO NOT BUY YOUR PC FROM PC WORLD!

Take it you've had a bad experience? :tongue:

Not saying I'd buy everything I needed there personally, but with significant purchases like base units I enjoy seeing, having a play with and hearing the things before parting with the dosh. One of my backup machines was bought over t'interweb sight-unseen a few years ago and makes a noise like a spitfire warming up on the runway. Stores that have computers set up are great for this purpose. Daughter's pc came from PCW and has been fine (maybe if we'd had problems I'd be seeing this differently as I have no experience of their customer services) but again I did a bit of research into it before buying.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Well you know, it'll be your decision, we'll respect it, but whatever you do, there's a whole caring community of people who are ready to take the piss out of you! :biggrin:

Nah, we wouldn't do that, there's nowt wrong with his logic....buy another version of a piece of crap that's been nothing but trouble.....sound!!!!

Sadly the real reason is shallowness, being a flighty and impressionable type, 3BM feels the need to be able to drop into conversation, 'oh yes, we're on our second apple at home'. I think he also has dreams of being matey with Stephen Fry and you can't do that from a PC.

OP
OP
threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Update - found a Mac-man who changed the HDD for a shiny new 1TB one. It seems to work okay, for now.
Cost £200 but still a grand cheaper than a new one although I won't be able to brag about how many Macs I've owned.

Thanks all, except MacB - to think all the 'help' I've given him over the years, some people...

Top Bottom