Choosing a Rohloff Hub Bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

womblechops

On a positive note I got my Fahrrad (a cheaper spec CX700) last August and am very happy with it. As you note the Fahrrad bikes are pretty well specced in the price - I've got the guards, hub dynamo, lights, hydraulic discs - all of which comes with a few comments at traffic lights about having gone a bit mad in the sweet shop.

But the gears are the Shimano Alfine set, which are performing well so far on 100+ miles commuting a week, but whilst I am happy with them I will always have that nagging feeling that for all the spec above I could have gone for Rohloff too, but saw the additional price tag at the last moment and baulked.

So, please keep your inner pedant in check (they never talk sense!), buy the Rohloff and tell us how much you enjoy it later.

Just to add a bit of confusion to the mix, I'm considering my options for my next heavyweight touring bike, and I'm swaying towards the Sram I-motion 9.

The only good internal geared hub is the Red Band Bendix 2 spd Kickback coaster.

But more seriously, HOW FRICKIN MUCH?? Please show me the proof that a Rolloff hub works out cheaper than an eight speed derailer system over any timescale. Coz I don't believe it.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
mickle said:
The only good internal geared hub is the Red Band Bendix 2 spd Kickback coaster.

But more seriously, HOW FRICKIN MUCH?? Please show me the proof that a Rolloff hub works out cheaper than an eight speed derailer system over any timescale. Coz I don't believe it.

I think any savings, if they exist, would be over the very long haul. My main motivation is ease of maintenance and gear changing. But then I like gadgets, when I play golf I have a remote control Robokaddy and a GPS unit. Neither are needed and both are expensive but, for me, they both remove minor irritations and inconveniences. I want a minimum fuss bike that'll do the job so I'm going for a rohloff. What I regard as fuss others may regard as no hassle or part of being a proper cyclist. Some golfers regard anyone not carrying their own clubs, and pacing out their own yardages, as not really proper golfers. I haven't cared about the prejudices of other golfers for a number of years and doubt if I'll care any more in regard to cycling:biggrin: If they did a rohloff with 'automatic' transmission I'd probably buy that:blush:

Looks like I've swung back to the Thorn Sports Tour again and should work out about £2300 with upgrades including the Schmidt dyno hub:biggrin: Going to take Bollo up on his generous offer to pop down and inspect his bike then book my appointment at Thorn.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Keith Oates said:
"Looks like I've swung back to the Thorn Sports Tour again "

IMO that is a good move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keith, spent a lot of time reading reviews, opinions etc. I actually always liked the bikes look but had concerns re 26" wheels. I've allayed those now and the benefits of a specifically designed bike seem worth the 1k extra over the conversion costs.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Another change, plans for the RST will still go ahead but will need to defer expenditure until the Summer. So in the short term have settled on an sram i-motion 9. This should give me plenty of range for the commute and, if it doesn't work out, I can just put the old wheel and derailer setup back on the bike. Having the hub built into a new wheel(placed order today) and, with shifter, comes to £367. I'll then have to add cost for fitting and chain tensioner, I'll put a new chain on and leave the old chain with the existing wheel in case a retrofit is needed. Hope to use the middle ring from existing chainset and just add spacers to get chainline. Comparison of gear range between the existing, adjusted for unadvisable chainlines and close/duplicate ratios, and a couple of cog options on the i-9:-
Giant Triple 30/42/52​
SRAM I-motion9 42/21​
SRAM I-motion9 42/22​
29.5​
28.1​
31.4​
32.2​
35.4​
33.7​
38.8​
39.5​
37.7​
43.9​
44.2​
49.6​
46.4​
51.9​
54.3​
54.3​
60.1​
60.8​
67.3​
63.7​
74.4​
74.7​
71.3​
81.5​
83.6​
87.8​
87.5​
95.1​
95.6​
100.9​
100.2​
108.7​
117.7​

The i-9 doesn't go as low as the Rohloff, limited to about 25inches but I reckon 29.5 as a low should be ok. I can always alter this if I want but I based this on the existing low of 31.4 and how often/much I needed that. I won't be touring and my longer rides, if they happen, will be under lighter load than my commute. Probably large saddle bag/racktop bag at most rather than panniers.

Any info on the above, recommendations etc warmly welcome....thanks.....Al

Bollo said:
I've got a Thorn Sports Tour and a very good long distance commuter it is. Not pretty, but extremely practical, very carefully put together and the 853 tubing is a touch of class. You're right about the options which have a BMW-like way of bumping the price.

The Rohloff does add a bit of weight and feels slightly less efficient than a derailleur equiped bike, but it is ultra-low maintenance and very reliable.

MacB - if you can get yourself to either Basingstoke (weekdays only) or Winchester and you're 5'9" to 6'1" ish then you're welcome to have a test ride of mine. PM if you're interested.

I have a Thorn Nomad and it is boring!

In a good way.... its predictability, solid handling and the way it just performs loaded or unloaded is brilliant and exactly what I wanted - it simply lacks the edge of some of my sportier bikes.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
mickle said:

A cheap derailleur system plus rear hub costs about £150. Add the cost of fitting and you're up to £200. The Rohloff costs about £1000. That's only 5 times as much, and it will last 10 times as long - at least - with negligible maintenance. A Shimano Dura Ace groupset, often recommended here, costs about £600. It's easy to spend £1000 on a derailleur groupset.

Arch

Married to Night Train
srw said:
A cheap derailleur system plus rear hub costs about £150. Add the cost of fitting and you're up to £200. The Rohloff costs about £1000. That's only 5 times as much, and it will last 10 times as long - at least - with negligible maintenance. A Shimano Dura Ace groupset, often recommended here, costs about £600. It's easy to spend £1000 on a derailleur groupset.

And here's the question: Why? £600 for a few metal parts. Cost of materials can't be anywhere near that, and it's all machine made. Is it all posing value or what?

(I think hub gears are probably also way more expensive than they need to be, BTW, I'm not just picking on derailleurs - also, I appreciate that a certain amount of R and D is needed, but how different is a fancy set to a basic set, really?)

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Arch said:
And here's the question: Why? £600 for a few metal parts. Cost of materials can't be anywhere near that, and it's all machine made. Is it all posing value or what?

(I think hub gears are probably also way more expensive than they need to be, BTW, I'm not just picking on derailleurs - also, I appreciate that a certain amount of R and D is needed, but how different is a fancy set to a basic set, really?)

Arch, though I'm not knowledgeable on cycling I figure this type of thing will be pretty similar to the golf industry. Higher end drivers go for about £300 and top end/pro stuff for about £600-800(there are the odd crazy prices above that). Best estimates of costs to the OEM are £10-30, the biggest factor in the final price is claimed to be the pro sponsorship and marketing. If cycling works in the same way then that would be the answer. Kind of makes you feel closer to the pros knowing that you're more directly supporting their high wages:biggrin:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Cunobelin said:
I have a Thorn Nomad and it is boring!

In a good way.... its predictability, solid handling and the way it just performs loaded or unloaded is brilliant and exactly what I wanted - it simply lacks the edge of some of my sportier bikes.

But to test ride yours he would have to go to Gosport! There's a line a man should not cross, and in this case the line is just north of Eastleigh ;)

PS - You doin' IoW Randonnee this year?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:

I'm liking this post. I think the Rohloffs are expensive because they are a very complex mechanism, they're made in small volumes and, as they're German, you're paying for them in Euros. I paid significantly less a year ago for my Rohloffed Thorn Sports Tour than their current price.

What you get is a fabulous piece of engineering that should live longer than you. If you're doing the miles that MacB does, its an investment against at least weekly cleaning, constant adjustment, filthy cables and gummed up jockey wheels. You're also getting top reliability and support. For most applications they're over the top, but for what MacB wants to do, they're spot-on.

As for pose value, I admit I'm a shocking dandy and tart. The only reason I'm not clad head-to-foot in Rapha is that (a) none of it fits and (;) they pay me a retainer never to be seen in their products (note to self - phone Assos). But I don't think of my Rohloff bikes as poser bikes as only the true brethren will even notice. They're just trouble free, fit-and-forget transport.

speedhub_frei_01.gif

biking_fox

Guru
Ressurecting a thread.

I have been wondering about a hub gear as my next bike. What's the difference betwene the schimano versions that seem to be fairly readily available and a Rohloff - other than the price?!

Primairily I want to know if the are as reliable?

But any other technical/usability feedback would be good too - do they cover the sam e range, how smooth the action is etcetc.

(With the possible exception of the Rolloff) hub geared wheels are more fiddly to remove and replace than open systems and are less efficient.

If I'm going to get p******e I want to be able to get my wheel out, tube replaced and back in with a minimum of fuss and faff. Without the need for tools.

It bugs me that the oft quoted negatives of derailer systems includes, and I quote; 'weekly cleaning, constant adjustment, filthy cables and gummed up jockey wheels' Not on any of my bikes thanks.

Top Bottom