Choosing a team to support

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

I go for the ones with the smartest kit but haven't been able to make my mind up this year. Certainly not the team who are riding the pale blue bikes. The bikes alone have put me off.

Bianchi Celeste, not pale blue....

I recently thought about going for one of those Pegatin stickers you can get with your name and nationality on a professional looking decal...and then I had a more philosophical debate with myself, as you do :thumbsup:, regarding loyalties... if any.

So what nationality methinks? Well, I've been brought up in UK that's for sure but my Irish heritage on my mum's side cancels out wanting my name next to a Union Jack or a St Georgie. No thanks...so sorted then, an Irish one right? No, not really, I've never lived in Ireland and whilst I admire Sean Kelly and like to see Daniel Martin do well, the tricolour doesn't quite fit either. I like Bradley Wiggins to do well too. My sister-in-law is Turkish but I'm not, my adopted brother is Jamaican and my step-father - a very influential figure in my life - is from southern-France but he'd stuff the French flag up Le Pen's arse any day of the week. So perhaps an Occitanian flag then? Yep, but again, I can't say, however much I love Beziers and his region, that's it's truly representative or real to place my name up against that flag either. So I decided that Pegatin need to have a World Citizen flag for me to bother considering any of this flag waving nonsense...

So, this thinking leads me to all kinds of cyclists and like I mentioned recently on one post on this sub-forum, I love the fact that so many of you on here appreciate a good cyclist period - across all national boundaries. Having been a football fan all my life and having always supported England I just can't be arsed with them anymore, and would prefer to see them beaten by countries like Kazakhstan such are the tosspots that wear the shirt today.

I look out for Wiggins and Froome because they're great cyclists, not because they're British. Sky have really mucked up football in my opinion so not much adoration there either sadly. I like to see Purito do well, watch out for Tommy Voeckler (recently described as 'the housewives favourite'!) Any cyclists from the region around Beziers I'd like to see do well but I can't think of any off the top of my head. Historically I like The Badger and Greg Lemond, Pantani and Darrigade due a great story I heard about him, and have an increasing interest in Bartali and Coppi but the chap who really has put a smile on my face this tour wears this shirt....

download (2).jpg

...I know I'm being a bit vague so it might help if I say he's very young, the epitome of cool and comes from South America.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
Quintana is definately one of my favourites! I love his attitude. Has been great to see him do so well this year.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I like Henao just as much, and I think if he was let off the leash, he'd do as well as Quintana. Apparently Quintana also has a younger brother who's pretty handy...

martint235

Dog on a bike
I tend to follow particular riders: Voeckler, Cav, Rolland, even Andy Scleck (goes back to a stupidly placed bet a few years ago). As to a team, I tend to be drawn by whoever is riding the same brand of bike as me so it's been Rabobank (Belkin) for a few years now.

Top Bottom