Choosing a team to support

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
The Garmin team has the right approach to the past problems of cycling, I really like the teams attitude/values and Dan Martin has got a lot of spirit, really like him as a rider.
Miller I can't say I particularly warm to and wish I could but he is one of the riders which I respect the most. For someone to face their demons, hold their hands up and try to make things better I have nothing but admiration, its not the easy way out.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I like particular riders and for all different kinds of reasons, often riders I have seen do something special when they were young and then I follow their careers, but particularly climbers. I admire some DS's and particular team tactics. There are particular performances and days I enjoy. I have connections to the UK, Norway, Canada and Japan, and it was the Colombians in the 80s who got me excited about pro-cycling, so I take an interest in riders from those countries. But really, I just like cycling.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
I can't put my finger completely on why but I lean towards OricaGreenEdge. I love their attitude...fun, passionate and commited. They have a womens team too and outwardly at least are as commited to them as the men. They look like a team I would love to be a part of if I was a pro rider. :biggrin:

lejogger

Guru
The Garmin team has the right approach to the past problems of cycling, I really like the teams attitude/values and Dan Martin has got a lot of spirit, really like him as a rider.
Miller I can't say I particularly warm to and wish I could but he is one of the riders which I respect the most. For someone to face their demons, hold their hands up and try to make things better I have nothing but admiration, its not the easy way out.
Have you read 'racing through the dark'? It completely changed my view on Miller and I'll always root for him slightly more than the other British riders... Maybe that means I've just fallen for a slick PR stunt, but it's a very genuine tale IMHO. You can read it 'post Lance' despite it being written 'pre Lance' and it doesn't seem silly, mainly because he's not overly complimentary. Same goes for Ned's yellow jumper book. I enjoyed that one.

Re: the sky riders in a breakaway point, over pretty much the entirety of the last two tours they've been defending the yellow jersey so have had their hand forced into the defensive style of riding we see. Two years ago when Brad crashed out they got a lot more involved, and I'm sure they would again if they didn't have a rider in contention. Most teams with riders in the breaks never have any real GC ambitions or have lost them during the race hence the ability to free them up to go galavanting for a day.

I don't hate SKY like many seem to at all... My taking up cycling seriously coincided with their rise and I'll will them to do well from a patriotic standpoint.

I enjoy seeing individuals make outstanding efforts, and in particular Jérémy Roy was just awesome in the 2011 tour. I also defy anyone not to get ridiculously excited watching Thibaut Pinot on his breakaway win on stage 8 last year. I'm not ashamed to say I got a lump in my throat over the closing stages - I always do when I see how much winning or achieving means to someone, and I don't think many other sports reflect this quite as well as cycling and Le tour.

Mr Haematocrit

Re: the sky riders in a breakaway point, over pretty much the entirety of the last two tours they've been defending the yellow jersey so have had their hand forced into the defensive style of riding we see. Two years ago when Brad crashed out they got a lot more involved, and I'm sure they would again if they didn't have a rider in contention. Most teams with riders in the breaks never have any real GC ambitions or have lost them during the race hence the ability to free them up to go galavanting for a day.

I was talking about Sky as a team, you seem to be talking about Sky performance with regards to the Tour de France specifically.
Team Sky have never been in real contention for a classics victory, in fact in the 2013 Paris-Roubaix results no Sky rider featured in the top ten, did they ride more aggressively as a team, nope... did they send a single rider up the road, trying his luck and taking a roll of the dice.. nope. .. So even when they are not in contention, they do no real galavanting of note

Likewise in the Giro they supported Wiggo blindly for far longer than they should have, it was obvious to most people that he was not in form, long before he withdrew. If Sky changed tactics earlier to support Robert Urban they could have won it.
They make a plan and follow it, that's why they lost the Giro.. That's why I doubt you will never see an incredible ride like Tom Boonens solo break away for 53km in the 2012 Paris Roubaix from a Team Sky rider as they have to calculate the best odds by which time the break away or opportunity has passed them by ... As previously stated they are effective, calculating and the results speak for themselves but my god are they booooring to watch.

Its all about OPQS baby :becool: ... the Manx missile, TT King Tony Martin, Boonen and the fiesty Chavanel ........ Riders with heart, entertaining and exciting to watch suffer.

Mr Haematocrit

Strathlubnaig posted a really cool thing in the Tour de France spoilers thread regarding the legend known as Jens Voigt.... These are the types of guys I admire, support and adore. What a rider, what a personality, what a heart, what a damn decent bloke. Legend !!!

The absolute best top story from this years TdF, belongs to The Jensie.
Basically Voigt in no man’s land waiting to be caught, tries to give a bidon to a kid, the kid gets elbowed out of the way by some dude, Voigt sees it, turns around, goes back down the hill a bit and shames the perp to give bidon back to the kid – crowd goes wild! Chapeau Jens !!!

http://video.lequipe.fr/video/2cf051f2b00s.html

Hip Priest

Veteran
I like some teams more than others, but I don't support a particular team. I'm a football fan, and when my team loses I feel bad. I wouldn't want to have the same thing in cycling.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I go for the ones with the smartest kit but haven't been able to make my mind up this year. Certainly not the team who are riding the pale blue bikes. The bikes alone have put me off.

Top Bottom