choosing and buying aint easy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cockney Scot

well had decided on a Scale 30, requested feed back ans discovered that it wasnt actualy the bike for me, thankfully all your feed back saved me apending a lot of dosh.
So it was back to the drawing board, then settled for a Trek 6300, went to collect the bike today and discovered on the test that the suspension forks even when locked continues to bounce.
Baxk to the drawing board again , finnaly bought a Trek 670m, changed the tyres for Spexialized cross roads, settlwd fir am 18.5 frane as the reach was shorter althhough may fit a longer head swt

You seem to have started looking at a very high end £2k bike then plumped for a budget £600 model and then what? I cant even see a 670m do you mean 6700?
Why would someone chop and change between a £2k and a £600 model?
Fickle, money no object, indecisive?

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

origonal budget around £800, Scot Scale 30 £1399 , where do you get 2k from. Scot scakle turned out to be unsuitable, so Evans recommended the Trek 6300 priced at £674. When the bike was del;ivered to the store the front forks wouldnt lock, in the meantime I noticed the Trek 6700 , yes a bit dearer at £999 but it ticked all the boxes .
Fickle, I dont think so , supose I could have bought the 6300 and ignored the fork problem or went for the Scot but been unable to go touring as it couldnt take panniers.
Indecive, hardly I sought the recomendations of the site, the bike store and son in law who is a serious rider. As for choping and changing, better to seek advice and change before parting with cash , than buy and regret, I appreciate the advice others on the forum gave which went a long way to helping me make the final decision.
Money no Object? Money is always an object.
The end result was going £200 over origonal budget , but saving £400 against the Scot which was a lovely machine but not for touring.

Its £1900, ok not the full £2k in several places eg:-

http://www.chrispaulsoncycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m16b27s375p782&rs=gb

Even Evans have it listed at £1500.
It seemed very much to me as though you started looking at a £1900 bike just for mucking about on a tow path and then switched down to a £600 model, but that is just the way it looked.
Even at your prices, the bike you chose second time around was much less than half the price of the bike you asked advice on the day before, which is akin to saying "What do you guys think of the BMW Z4 3.0"...."In the end I bought a Fiesta 1.4 Zetec"...
Not important really.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

thanks Maurice, just out on the maiden run and it definatley feels nice. Done 15 miles so far and feels good, reckon I will change the stem for an adjustable one but apart from that vwry pleased. Gears are bedding in and brakes well cant believe the difference from the old V brakes

wyno70

Berger and Chips - Your criticism is a bit harsh. I know I've certainly chopped and changed when looking for a bike and budget has gone up and down depending on how much I fancied something. I hardly think that makes someone fickle or indecisive, just excited about their new purchase and wanting to do as much research as possible.

Sounds like a sensible plan to me.

Anyway back on topic, Delt1c, you'll be pleased to hear that I also have a Trek 6700 and love it. I've had it about 18 months and have no comlaints at all. I use it for 30 mile rides in Epping forest and it's never let me down. A good bike from start to finish. I bought an 07 spec one early in 08 and managed to get it for £650 so was more than happy.

Well done and enjoy your new toy.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Thanks for the feed back Wyno. weill watch out for you then as you are not far from me. If you see a Red and White 6700 riding along the Lea then that will be me.
Just been tio Welwyn and back today and no real problems, only problem is the Brooks saddle which was like an arm chair on my other bike, transferred it to the Trek and my a**e aint have tender, cant seem to get the enough tilt on the saddle. Apart from that its excellent.
handling is a lot better than the hybrid and being a slightly smaller frame also helps, going to get the bars raised slighyly by fitting an extender to the steering crank, spoke to someone in hertford today. All in all an excellent bike.

Top Bottom