Chorus 11sp cassette pricing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
How come there is such a difference in price between Campagnolo Chorus cassettes? A 12-27 is a modest £70ish, but a 12-29 is about £100. Thirty quid seems a lot to pay for two extra teeth. Is it simply that the less popular combinations are more heavily discounted?

To add to the confusion, here's Ribble's prices for different 11-speed Chorus cassettes
11-23 £87.95
11-25 £87.95
11-27 £99.95
11-29 £99.95
12-25 £72.65
12-27 £72.65
12-29 £87.95

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
So that makes my 12-29 a bit cheaper than at Wiggle, but there's still weird differential pricing. MRRP is >£100 so they must be applying some sort of discount system :wacko:

Any narrower range than 12-29 imo defeats the point of having 11 speeds so maybe they're less popular and therefore cheaper?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So that makes my 12-29 a bit cheaper than at Wiggle, but there's still weird differential pricing. MRRP is >£100 so they must be applying some sort of discount system :wacko:

Any narrower range than 12-29 imo defeats the point of having 11 speeds so maybe they're less popular and therefore cheaper?

The benefits of a narrower range on 11 speed are tighter steps between gears (less teeth). Far more efficient. If you are OK climbing with say 12-25 then stick with it rather that 11-29.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
The benefits of a narrower range on 11 speed are tighter steps between gears (less teeth). Far more efficient. If you are OK climbing with say 12-25 then stick with it rather that 11-29.
Yes, but the effect is much less than it would be on a lower speed cassette. Team Sky, for example, use the same cassette throughout a whole grand tour, where previously they would have changed them between stages.

For me the advantage of 11sp is that you get the benefit of wide rage and close spacing. I guess time triallers would maybe use an 11-23 11speed cassette?

Last edited:

fossyant

I used to swap sprockets etc. Used a straight through block (cassette) for TT's - 1 tooth increments, then switched to a block with a couple of climbing gears for long rides/hills.

Sky will swap cassettes regular. as do all pro teams - they actually swap wheels. I don't see the point in having dinner plates on the back unless you need them.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I used to swap sprockets etc. Used a straight through block (cassette) for TT's - 1 tooth increments, then switched to a block with a couple of climbing gears for long rides/hills.
Yes, I get your point about TTs.

Sky will swap cassettes regular. as do all pro teams - they actually swap wheels.
Not according to this article
http://road.cc/content/news/122772-tour-tech-2014-chris-froomes-team-sky-pinarello-dogma-f8

I don't see the point in having dinner plates on the back unless you need them.
There's probably a lot to be said for having consistency in your setup.

fossyant

I run a 13-24 and 39-53 on both my road bikes. No need for any bigger. If I had 11 I'd run about the same config, but a closer tooth spacing.

Don't believe half the crap that comes out. Most pro teams will change cassettes between each day depending upon terrain, and even mechs - SRAM wifly stuff comes out for some of the Giro stages

Top Bottom