Chris Barber Team Sun replica bike, c1968

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeymustard

Veteran
@kev the rev good to hear you've kept it all these years! This sounds like a good example of a bike that needs to be brought back to its original condition so you can admire it again. I'm not normally a fan of that concours sort of resto, cos people become frightened to ride them, but in your case it's too small anyway, and it's part of your history

kev the rev

@kev the rev good to hear you've kept it all these years! This sounds like a good example of a bike that needs to be brought back to its original condition so you can admire it again. I'm not normally a fan of that concours sort of resto, cos people become frightened to ride them, but in your case it's too small anyway, and it's part of your history

Thanks. I certainly have a good example here to aim at. Picking up on the technical expertise as well.
Only problem is that I have three rather tasty 531 frames (in various states of equipment,) that also need seeing to!
First one is likely to be an early Henry burton frame from the sixties.
Great thread, thank you all.

OP
OP
Spokesmann

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Some recent changes to the bike have included adding a set of yellow NOS Hugh Porter Bantel Star guards...

P9091435_zpsv1oeqxob.jpg

P9091437_zpsfi0abxkz.jpg

P9091440_zpsfx5p9wmb.jpg

P9091443_zps8sbyncm2.jpg

P9091444_zpsrpjbnvvq.jpg

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I still have to do something about this, been trying to tie down the actual font.
View attachment 320433
I have just looked through my old Linotype typefaces book and I can't see it there. The nearest I found was Diskus, which is similar but not the same. I think it might be hand drawn. I notice that there is a base line between the 'b' and the 'e' of 'Barber', which doesn't connect to either letter.

The bike is still impressive, even without the name though! Great job! :notworthy:

Top Bottom