Chris Boardman

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trumpettom001

Hi all,

about to venture into the first of what will be many road bike purchses - I need a good road frame.... what is the general opinion of the Boardman Comp (alu)? At the moment I commute 6 miles a day ish so by no means a serious rider, but want somthing that does look fairly nice (vain i know)

can anyone tell me a (cheap) fork that will work with it? or does anyone know of the measurements of the steerer tube?

Tom

Dilbert

Can you buy the frames on their own - I thought they just did complete bikes. I have the road team and love it so far but have not had it out much yet due to the weather and my desire not to wreck it as its my first road bike and I am still wobbly.

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

they have to specially order them in i think - i trashed my roadie with use of a car bonnet, so i'm going for a mid-market replacement

Does the frame come with a headset? If not I think it is a semi-integrated sort and you will need the manufacturers advice on a suitable headset.

The comps come with a Ritchey Comp stem which appears to be 1 1/8th steerer - so at a guess you will need this size steerer and a length determined by the size of the head tube - personally I'd hand it over to the lbs as the whole process can be slightly complicated as the steerer may need to be cut and the crown race fitted etc etc.

The Boardman Comps will be a bit harsh on the road so I would advise Carbon forks to lessen the vibration on your hands.

Can't you get hold of a frame & forks package?

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

As far as a frame and forks package - not really, i looked on ebay, and theyre all a bit pricey for me

i'm looking on ebay, and have found a couple plain black carbon forks which'll do the bizz, provided they fit..

Is it just a case of finding the right bearings (if so, i'm sorted, as there's a bucket at work with close to 300 bearings in cages for hedset in it), or will I need some new super douper hedset assembly from somwhere... I'll talk to the bike shop, unless anyone knows elseways???

and i'm happy to cut the sterrer tube down - I've got an entire dedicated bike workshop at my disposal

Top Bottom