Chris Froome to target 7 tour de france titles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

not a chance.

ayceejay

Guru
Sometimes ( always?) sticking a microphone or a daft question in the face of an exhausted/elated athlete may not result in a thoughtful response, I admire Cavendish and Wiggins for dealing with this in the way they do. Chris Froome has an awkward personality that some have a problem with but if only he could be seen for his ability on the bike perhaps he would be measured on that instead.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
[QUOTE 2500185, member: 30090"]I can't see where it says about going for seven titles?

Going for another six to seven years is just someone who wants to remain at their for as longcas their body allows it.[/quote]

The first line states.......... Chris Froome has said that he wants to target the Tour de France “for the next six or seven years”...... I read this as his target is to win as his target for this year is the TDF as well and I understand that this year it means an attempt to come away with the yellow, so I expect it means the same with regards to other years. he also mentions that he is driven by that goal , but not from a fame point of view... You neither get fame or recognition for starting the TDF which suggests further that he is talking about winning more.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I can't see anything wrong with saying you'd like to win 7 tours. Saying isn't doing and he probably won't, but there's nothing wrong with setting yourself an ambitious target is there?

Noodley

...there's nothing wrong with setting yourself an ambitious target is there?

Indeed, but perhaps he needs to find out if he can face the pressure of winning one to start with. And realise that he's not in a team that is his team, unlike previous multi and 5 times-winners who (mostly) had teams shaped around them.

green1

Über Member
As he cant be the first British rider to win the TdF, he now wants to beet the record for the most wins
Which is 5.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Perhaps he's hinting that there is no way he's going to step aside, do the Giro, and let Wiggins be team leader at TdF 2014.
(If they're both still at Sky!)

The Couch

Über Member
Perhaps he's hinting that there is no way he's going to step aside, do the Giro, and let Wiggins be team leader at TdF 2014.
(If they're both still at Sky!)

I think this probably makes most sense as explanation... Like other riders (e.g. Evans, Virenque, Ullrich) he wants to focus his season on riding the Tour.
Of course, when your as good as he is (they are), you always want to put in all you can (and win it), but I don't think he is claiming he sees himself winning it for the next 6 to 7 years... he's just going to focus his next seasons on riding the Tour and wants to be the leader of the team in it. (and isn't going to start focussing on Giro/Vuelta just to give someone else in the team the opportunity to be the leader in the Tour)

He is a young, talented roider who produces some entertaining moments when he has a go. He adds to the spectacle.

As yet, he hasn't won a GT, but a couple of podiums look good and he's having a very strong build-up to the TdF.

We notice him more in part because he's racing on a British licence and has fairly good grounds (a passport and a parent) to claim that connection.

He does look a strong 'un and it seems reasonable that he should state he intends to have a good go at the Tour for the next few years.

But... he has yet to win a GT. They are long races and funny stuff does happen. Lance Armstrong (for all his alleged naughtiness) did rather build up the impression that once a top rider has aimed at the Tour, he'll win it. There are so many variables that this can be an unhelpful view.

Froome will need to be careful with what he ingests and what he uses in recovery (and so will his doctors). If he chooses to go into slightly naughty territory, it will have to be with very small doses and very strict and disciplined monitoring by a top physician. He'll have to avoid punctures and mechanical failure in places where the cars can't reach him quickly; he'll have to avoid crashing and stay away from danger when it's wet or in bunches. He'll have to be quick, too. But he's already shown that he is.

He has a fairly monstrous team around him and a team structure who now know how to win a GT. I wish him well and would not be at all surprised if he ended his career with one or two TdF victories, or maybe the full set of GTs.

Top Bottom