Chris Hoy for SPOTY

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavintc

Guru
Cycling Weekly have run an article regarding the BBC Sport's Personality of the Year competition. They make a fair point, that we cyclists may decide to support a range of cyclists reducing the effect of the 'cycling lobby' and have proposed that we put our support behind Chris Hoy rather than Nicole, Bradley or Cav.

IMO, we must also hope that F1 does not produce a successful Hamilton this weekend as personally, I think he will very hard to beat and public memories are short; 'The Olympics was so last year'.

The online comment on the subject is here. Scroll down to second header.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/Is_the_Tour_heading_to_London_again_in_2011_article_270620.html

justAl

The BBC will be hard pushed to ignore Lewis for the top prize seeing as they now have the contract to televise F1. The winner isn't always the one who has succeeded the most but the one who the BBC pays more attention to IMO. Philipps
1-HAMILTON
2- HOY
3- ADLINGTON

TEAM - TEAM GB I can't see them seperating cycling, swimming or sailing

ChrisKH

Guru
How can Lewis Hamilton's achievements be comparable with that of Hoy or Adlington? Really? With motor sports the emphasis is on 'motor' not the sport.

However as personalities go, he's a very nice man. But why vote on that basis? What a shallow, tabloid world we live in.

robgul

Legendary Member
Hope it is Hoy ... yes, Hamilton has some "skill" BUT he also has loads of assistance from a massive team of people and bottomless pit of money ...and .... he's driving a car with an engine ...

Hoy IS the engine ... and thus a far greater achievement.

Rob

Melvil

robgul said:
Hope it is Hoy ... yes, Hamilton has some "skill" BUT he also has loads of assistance from a massive team of people and bottomless pit of money ...and .... he's driving a car with an engine ...

Hoy IS the engine ... and thus a far greater achievement.

Rob

You can't compare the achievements as there is almost no common ground...but don't dismiss the complete attention and focus which is needed - for up to two hours at a time - to drive a F1 car competitively. Hamilton is an extremely talented and dedicated chap. Aye, he doesn't get out of the car and push but why should he be denigrated for it???

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I haven't made my mind up whether to vote for Hamilton (if he clinches it) or Nicole Cooke. Becomming the youngest ever F1 champion is worthy of the prize, As is Nicole for her years at the top of the sport.

I would never vote for anyone on the grounds of Olympic achievement. Much as I was behind our lot the Olympics are on a par with It's a Knockout in my book.

Greedo

There's no way if Hamilton wins at the weekend that he'll not win it. It's like one of those polls for best film etc.... people always think of recent things and the GB cycling team will be in the back of the majority of peoples minds.

personally though, being the youngest ever Grand Prix World Champion is a great achievement IMO.

I still think the time Beckam was public enemy No1 in Engurland after getting sent off in the 98 world cup and everybody in Scotland was emailing each other to get voting for him to win was hilarious. It was an outrage though that those votes were made null and void ;)

Andy

Tend to agree with most of the above. The fitness required to be a Grand Prix driver is way beyond what most of us would ever be capable of. The concentration required for two hours at high speed as well is phenomenal. Can't argue that if Hamilton wins championship he is worthy all the way.

Nicole Cooke would be worthy as aside of her sporting prowess she does actually come across as having a "personality" as well. Chris Hoy should get a placing, but agree that if Hamilton wins then nobody else will get a look in.

btw, the brazil gp is next weekend 2nd november, not this weekend, for those of you making plans to sit in and watch it on sunday!

woohoo

Veteran
Whatever happens / whoever wins, I just hope that after last year's patronising interview, Nicole Cooke trips Adrian Chiles and says "Have you fallen over? Oh dear. What a pity!"

Top Bottom