Christianias

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Thank you very much indeed for that reference, Dr Mekon :smile:

Ref the Christiania frame flex, yep I'm 6ft 2" and although there's some flex noticeable on our steel-frame one, it's not something that concerns me. It was though somewhat alarming at first - until I realised that most of the problem was down to the slack rear wheel spokes ...

We love the thing despite its peculiarities, which, given the state of the roads round here, are actually irrelevant most of the time, but I'm the first to admit that if you're a bit anal about mechanical perfection in bicycles and things of that ilk, a Christiania might not be the ideal purchase.

What we're waiting for as we slide disgracefully towards a geriatric state is a pedelec version.

DrMekon

Über Member
5469966621_3cffdf19d0.jpg

I should add, the frame flex probably annoys me more because of the ridiculous camber on some of my routes. I've borrowed the Christiania Extended box for a couple of weeks in total (the light is too small for our needs - has to be able to carry 2 kids plus 2 friends), and felt like I was fighting the steering. The bakfiets.nl version has a stiffer damper, and ridiculously large diameter tubing. Makes a big difference on stupid paths like that (although the biggest difference for handling is placing your kids / load at the front of the box - then it goes around corners like it's on rails compared to having the load at the back).

I've not tried the pedelec trike (hugh from dutchbike.co.uk has made a couple), but I've tried the Sparticle bakfiets short and the Azor ebike bakfiets long. Good fun. However, I like the challenge of keeping up a good pace with the box loaded up. It's a close to training as I do on a bike.

This is our 4th cargobike, having previously had a De Fietsfabriek 995, a bakfiets.nl cargobike long, and a Madsen kg271. This has been the most fun so far, but if I didn't have kids, I suspect I would have trouble resisting the charms of a Cetma Margo.

ps I did a write up comparing the Christiania versus the Bakfiets.nl some time ago. I deliberately tried to highlight the differences to make it more interesting.

http://measured-resp...bakfiets/?p=529

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Sorry to bring this old thread back to life, but I've only just found out what these bikes are called! I cycled around Copenhagen a couple of years ago and fell in love with these bikes then, but the closest thing I could find back in the UK was the Bakfiets, which are way beyond my price reach. My wife is now wanting something more useful that her old MTB that she can cart our youngling and gardening gear about in and a Christiania bike looks perfect, assuming I can fit it down the narrow alleyway / tunnel thing that runs down the side of our house.

I'm wondering if I can raise and lower the seat easy enough I would also be able to ride this bike over short distances?

Hmm, not really a lot of questions, new information or entertainment in this post so I'll add a photo of me at Christiania for no particular reason:

christiania.jpg

Top Bottom