Christmas cards to/from neighbours....yes/no ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to try and talk MrsD OUT of the cycle but to no avail.
You know the way it goes.....a neighbour posts one through your door so you are obliged** to reciprocate.
**I tried to convince MrsD to kill it dead as, once you reciprocate that's it.....no way back.
Being on my own this year I have a decision to make.
As an eg I got a card yesterday. It has their names and house No and (as they obviously know my new situation) a nice message BUT I do not know them and cannot put faces to it.
Decisions decisions :blush:

postman

Legendary Member
Only George up the street and it's a special one.Friend is the theme,i pay a bit extra.But he's worth it.

You know the way it goes.....a neighbour posts one through your door so you are obliged** to reciprocate.
**I tried to convince MrsD to kill it dead as, once you reciprocate that's it.....no way back.
As an eg I got a card yesterday. It has their names and house No and (as they obviously know my new situation) a nice message BUT I do not know them and cannot put faces to it.

I always do
to be honest it is always a panic just before Christmas to find the list of neighbours names because I am terrible at remembering names and faces (how I managed as a teacher for so many years I have no idea!!!!)

In fact we took in a parcel for the people next-door-but-one yesterday - when the lady came round to pick it up I would swear I have never seen her every before!!!!
mind you - I pretty much never see anyone who lives there - the just leave the house, walk to one fo their 3 cars and drive off - never had a change to even say Hello to them!!
Front gardens are great at neighbourhood relations!

Only if I get one, don't mind putting a multipack cheap card back to them. Friends and Family are my focus, I like to buy funny ones for them.

I am on first name terms with a few neighbours but I think they know I'm not much of a card sharer!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't do christmas cards apart from immediate family. My mum gets very cross if I don't send any, even though we'll be seeing her on the day. My adjoining neighbours will get a verbal "Merry Christmas" if I happen to see them outside, which is rare. The others are not deserving of my effort. I have told friends and family for many years that I don't send cards because it's a waste of paper; that's my choice but they still don't accept it. It is a nice thing to do if you have close family/friends who you don't see, but my thinking is if you are going to be seeing them then there's no point.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I'd like to stop doing it altogether but I just send one to someone if they send one to me. My elderly Mum is the worst, she sends them to people she hasn't seen for like 50 years and the sons/ daughters of friends that have passed away.
I have a friend who didn't send me one last year so I'm waiting to see if I get one this year. I wonder if they have died ? or gone into a home or something?
I think the whole thing is a total waste of time really.
I think a better way forward would be to either send someone a brief email or text wishing them all the best etc. Also xmas cards are bad for the environment.

Last edited:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Gosh you lot are a bunch of miseries.

Christmas is a time of peace and goodwill to all. Why not reach out to your neighbours that you haven't spoken to, and say "hello" in a seasonable manner? Why not reach out to people who you haven't spoken to for ages, and remind them that you exist? This year we met up with friends that we hadn't seen for a good couple of years or more, but kept in touch with via Christmas Cards. Just because we were on holiday just down the road from them.

The only cards I regarded as being wasted are family ones. Why does my Mum need a Christmas card from me? I speak to her every week and she will be getting a present from me at Christmas. What does a card add?

tom73

Guru
We do for ones we've known for years and the few that are still around that i've known since I was kid.
The rest don't talk to anyone let alone send cards.

Mrs M

Guru

That was a kind gesture from them, I’d send them a card.

Top Bottom