Christmas cards to/from neighbours....yes/no ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Am I in a small minority in thinking that when you send a 'cheapo' card, like those 20 you get in a packet for a quid, then the receiver of one of those cheap cards sends you an expensive card, as in it'll have cost about a fiver, they are sending a message that they are offended by your cheap card and have replied with a nice expensive one to let you know they are offended. 🤔 :unsure:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Am I in a small minority in thinking that when you send a 'cheapo' card, like those 20 you get in a packet for a quid, then the receiver of one of those cheap cards sends you an expensive card, as in it'll have cost about a fiver, they are sending a message that they are offended by your cheap card and have replied with a nice expensive one to let you know they are offended. 🤔 :unsure:

You are.

Slick

Guru
I get why people are done with the whole card thing, but I'm still in the minority that actually quite likes it.

Both my old man and his best mate passed away years ago now, but his wife still sends me a card as she knew I was close to him through my dad. I can't help but smile when that one comes in.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I get why people are done with the whole card thing, but I'm still in the minority that actually quite likes it.

Both my old man and his best mate passed away years ago now, but his wife still sends me a card as she knew I was close to him through my dad. I can't help but smile when that one comes in.

My parents used to receive a Christmas card from my dad's old workmate in New Zealand. He emigrated there with his wife in 1967 and sent a card every year, up till around 2003. He came back home to see his family and friends every now and then, also visiting my mum just after my dad died in 2001. When the annual card stopped arriving I assumed he'd either died or ended up with dementia. I always read his sent Christmas cards. He often mentioned how he longed to return home to Blackburn Lancs where he was born and brought up, but couldn't do as his children, grand children etc were born and bred New Zealanders.

Last edited:
Gosh you lot are a bunch of miseries.

Christmas is a time of peace and goodwill to all. Why not reach out to your neighbours that you haven't spoken to, and say "hello" in a seasonable manner? Why not reach out to people who you haven't spoken to for ages, and remind them that you exist? This year we met up with friends that we hadn't seen for a good couple of years or more, but kept in touch with via Christmas Cards. Just because we were on holiday just down the road from them.

The only cards I regarded as being wasted are family ones. Why does my Mum need a Christmas card from me? I speak to her every week and she will be getting a present from me at Christmas. What does a card add?

Bah! Humbug! 😂

I don’t send cards and the number I receive is never more than can be counted on one hand. Even these are typically generic ones e.g one from some random office in Scottish Government (goodness knows how I ended up on that list!).

My wife sends half a dozen or so to her family and her close friends but that’s it.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I don’t send cards and the number I receive is never more than can be counted on one hand. Even these are typically generic ones e.g one from some random office in Scottish Government (goodness knows how I ended up on that list!).

My wife sends half a dozen or so to her family and her close friends but that’s it.

Same here. I wrote mine yesterday. Just 7 :laugh:

Got new neighbours moved in on one side a few months ago and they are a lovely couple but have only really introduced myself and said hello in passing so not sure whether to give them one or not. They may be thinking the same thing. It all just seems a bit pointless to be honest. I get so few I don’t even display them, just look to see who they’re from and they sit in a pile and go in the bin after Christmas.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I think it's reasonable to be slightly offended by receiving a cheapo card in response to a fairly expensive one. If I spent a fiver on a card I'd hope to receive one back costing at least 2 quid. If I received a 20 in a packet costing a quid one I'd wonder why they'd sent such a thing. 🧐

It is the thought that.counts.
Perhaps the sender is hard up, or needs to pay for a new roof or something.

Top Bottom