Christmas cards to/from neighbours....yes/no ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
My parents used to receive a Christmas card from my dad's old workmate in New Zealand. He emigrated there with his wife in 1967 and sent a card every year, up till around 2003. He came back home to see his family and friends every now and then, also visiting my mum just after my dad died in 2001. When the annual card stopped arriving I assumed he'd either died or ended up with dementia. I always read his sent Christmas cards. He often mentioned how he longed to return home to Blackburn Lancs where he was born and brought up, but couldn't do as his children, grand children etc were born and bred New Zealanders.
Cycle of life really Accy. One minute your the young buck kicking about full of vim and vigour, then you look up and all the old guys have gone and your the old guy trying to figure out how to get back to the old country without upsetting anyone. :okay:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cycle of life really Accy. One minute your the young buck kicking about full of vim and vigour, then you look up and all the old guys have gone and your the old guy trying to figure out how to get back to the old country without upsetting anyone. :okay:

Indeed.
When you are young it is impossible to understand that one day "that" will be you.
Just over 4 years ago (aged 72) I recall boasting to myself as I was so fit...cycling, golfing and walking. Then life kicks you up the a*se and suddenly you are that old guy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Out of the sixteen flats round here I only send a card to one flat and that's because the occupant sends me one. It's a bit awkward as we seem to have developed a pattern where the sender gets a card back from me, then the following year I send one then get one back from the tenant. The thing is I've lost track and can't remember who sent one first last year! My thoughts are that if it was the other tenant then I'll have sent her one back, but If I just throw caution to the wind this year and send her a card before she sends one to me she might take offence, thinking "why's he sent me one, before I've sent him one"?! Then she might not send one in return. This is very awkward and it could lead to her not speaking to me for the whole of next year! The etiquette of card sending is a serious business and getting it wrong can lead to a whole lot of trouble!!! :unsure:

My only card sending/receiving neighbour posted one through my door yesterday, so it must've been me who sent first last year. Unless it was my neighbour and she posted the card, tired of waiting for me to post first this year. 🤔 Anyway, it's a decent card, probably costing about 2 quid, so I'll have to nearly match it at least to keep the peace.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom