Christmas dinner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I've just been informed that we have 12 for dinner on Christmas day at the last count. Anyone having to feed more than that?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Did 19 a few yrs ago...(might have been 20 or 21....)
Was a LOT OF FUN and actually not as hard as I thought it was going to be (and I wasn't allowed near the washing up!!)

jashburnham

When I was growing up we regularly had upwards of 18 on xmas eve, not sure how my poor Mum coped to be honest!

not this year but when i was a chef in the french alps i was cooking for 69 punters and 14 staff with just one over chef. And in york in some of the hotels ive done it for upto 340 before with just two over chefs.

but at home well my friends house i did 38 for him as he was sh*t in the kitchen.

barq

spandex said:
but at home well my friends house i did 38 for him as he was sh*t in the kitchen.

Gosh that's a lot for a domestic kitchen. How on earth did you organise that? I'd run out of space.

I think it is all happening on Boxing Day for me. It should be about 18 and a mixture of vegetarians, omnivores, one gluten-free, one nut-free. I might assume everyone who wants Turkey will have eaten it the day before and do something entirely different. Anyone have any ideas? I'm especially blank about the meat cos I don't eat it. :smile:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
barq said:
Gosh that's a lot for a domestic kitchen. How on earth did you organise that? I'd run out of space.

I think it is all happening on Boxing Day for me. It should be about 18 and a mixture of vegetarians, omnivores, one gluten-free, one nut-free. I might assume everyone who wants Turkey will have eaten it the day before and do something entirely different. Anyone have any ideas? I'm especially blank about the meat cos I don't eat it. :smile:

A large gammon with honey coating. Mmmmmmmm!!!!!

barq said:

it was a large kitchen but you do need to need to know the order to do all the prep before hand. if thats your cooking list i would do home made pie's because you can make all the fillings before hand as with the pastry and when cooking do some markings on top so you know which is which.

you can even get some deep fill bun tins and do some small ones for all.

ive got to go now but will be back asap

barq

Yeah, I've always thought of myself as a competent cook, but that isn't the same as being able to handle multitasking and organisation like a professional chef. I can see how effectively you've simplified things by suggesting pies because in their different forms they will suit everyone (well, not the gluten-free, but I can sort that out).

Rich P's gammon might be appropriate because my Derry-based relatives put a big emphasis on that at Christmas. I had been thinking about some combination of mushrooms, goats cheese and cranberries in pastry (maybe filo, not too thick) for the vegetarians. Then again proper pies might be quite fun and everyone can have something approximately the same (just different fillings). That also solves the problem of omnivores treating vegetarian dishes as an extra vegetable - which I see the logic of, but it always screws up the maths. :smile: Any suggestions for pie contents? I'm wondering about mushrooms with tarragon for veggies, no idea about the meat.

postman

Legendary Member
Cooked for 29 yesterday.Three of us at local Day Care Centre.For the pensioners .All still alive today ,me included.I am a volunteer every other wednesday.It is brilliant.Then we got 4 helpers to do the washing up .Started at 9 finished at 2.Cooked the meat the day before.

barq said:
Yeah, I've always thought of myself as a competent cook, but that isn't the same as being able to handle multitasking and organisation like a professional chef. I can see how effectively you've simplified things by suggesting pies because in their different forms they will suit everyone (well, not the gluten-free, but I can sort that out).

Rich P's gammon might be appropriate because my Derry-based relatives put a big emphasis on that at Christmas. I had been thinking about some combination of mushrooms, goats cheese and cranberries in pastry (maybe filo, not too thick) for the vegetarians. Then again proper pies might be quite fun and everyone can have something approximately the same (just different fillings). That also solves the problem of omnivores treating vegetarian dishes as an extra vegetable - which I see the logic of, but it always screws up the maths. :smile: Any suggestions for pie contents? I'm wondering about mushrooms with tarragon for veggies, no idea about the meat.

you can use gluten free pastry. the thing ive found is that some chefs/cooks do more work on the meat dish and not the vegi. it looks good if when all the food is on the plate and it all looks the same of all so no one is filling like they have the bum end of the stick.

barq

spandex said:
the thing ive found is that some chefs/cooks do more work on the meat dish and not the vegi. it looks good if when all the food is on the plate and it all looks the same of all so no one is filling like they have the bum end of the stick.

I've always been puzzled that so much vegetarian food is simply bad compared to the meat dishes. I'd assume there is more profit margin on the average veg dish, so why do I feel like some chefs resent meat-free food? Can you shed any light in your professional opinion?

Top Bottom