Christmas Food & Drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Thought it may be worth a thread to share tips and ideas for Christmas... only 2 and a bit months to go!!!

I love the whole buildup - planning, shopping, and eventually, the cooking! Tend to be a bit of a creature of habit and quite traditional too.

Kelly Bronze are great turkeys, although I have had to resort to M&S last 2 years as didn't get order in on time! A bit more than supermarkets but proper free range and great taste. That said am tempted by a goose this year, although have done this before a few times and keep telling myself to stick to turkey!!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I bought into the whole Delia goose fat bollocks a few years ago. It didn't lift the bird into Raymond Blanc territory. My homemade bread sauce was not nearly as good as the packet stuff from Birdseye either.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My mum does her turkey for 5 hours on low. They always turn out very juicy. They are free range and local. Not sure what's going to happen this year. If I'm at home i may get a swan

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Basics for restaurant quality spuds:

-get a right var, either maris piper or edwards will do

-golf ball size is the one to aim for

-boil in lightly seasoned water untill ALMOST falling apart, toss lightly when draining, to fluff up the edges VERY IMPORTANT STEP

-HOT oil in baking tray - either heavy based iron or alu would be my fav

-just before putting spuds in put a couple of whole heads of garlic in sliced in half and some rosemary

-season spuds as they go into the tray, and back into the oven

-turn a couple of times to get maillard reaction going on all sides

-cook untill golden brown, DRAIN THE EXCESS OF OIL after finishing

vickster

Legendary Member
Dunno...but for me it won’t be Turkey...or goose...or duck...or chicken...or beef...or pork...or lamb...or guinea fowl...or pheasant...
maybe a salmon encroute this year...wasn’t convinced by nut roast last year...
I am quite fond of a higgedy cauli cheese pie though :mrpig:

Christmas dinner is usually whatever takes my fancy on yellow sticker on Christmas Eve... :blush: Last year it was duck, the year before a pork loin joint on the bone, the year before monkfish wrapped in serrano ham...

Although this year, I'm not sure whether I'll go and join the traditional bun fight. Depends what the situation is, really. But I have options in the freezer, so it's no biggie. Beef rib, turkey breast joint (stuffed with sausagemeat and dried fruits) or a shoulder of lamb.

I always cure a side or half side of salmon as well, as it always goes down a treat.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It's just another day...

jayonabike