Christmas/New Year Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Can anyone recommend any good fun Christmas/New Year Sportives? Preferably in the North West but I will travel if required.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Me again. For sportives in the northwest go to www.epicevents.co.uk

I doubt you'll find anything over Christmas and New Year. The Cumbrian Cracker used to be early December but was beset by weather problems - last time I rode it was in December and the temperature didn't go above zero. It's now been moved to November 19th. It's a great route.

Next one I know of is the Eden Valley Epic on March 4th 2018. Another fantastic route but some years the roads are covered in crap. We usually ride this as a season opener.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Fancy a short triathlon on the 1st January?

There's one in Edinburgh. Have a shot at the loony dook afterwards if you like.

Im a runner so if it was a dualthlon I might but Im pants at swimming so not for me....I'll google some reliability trials!

screenman

Legendary Member
Im a runner so if it was a dualthlon I might but Im pants at swimming so not for me....I'll google some reliability trials!

Why not join a club, if you like sportives you could possible gain a lot from one.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Why not join a club, if you like sportives you could possible gain a lot from one.

Im thinking about it but I dont want to compete..I just like long rides hence my interest in sportives and audaxes, I dont ride a road bike at the moment I ride a hybrid and im not looking at buying another bike for another year or so

screenman

Legendary Member
Im thinking about it but I dont want to compete..I just like long rides hence my interest in sportives and audaxes, I dont ride a road bike at the moment I ride a hybrid and im not looking at buying another bike for another year or so

Around 200 members in The Lincoln Wheelers only about 30 race, you could be one of the 170. There are hundreds of clubs around the UK just like that, what have you got to lose? a tenner membership maybe.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Around 200 members in The Lincoln Wheelers only about 30 race, you could be one of the 170. There are hundreds of clubs around the UK just like that, what have you got to lose? a tenner membership maybe.

Ok, I might just do it then!

PaulSB

Legendary Member

In my experience most clubs have a much larger social riding section than competitive riding. Sure we have people who race and time trial but they also take part in the more social club rides. All the competitive stuff takes place outside of the club. TTs, hill climbs etc.

You shouldn't be put off joining a club if you have been given the impression it's all about competition. It isn't.

OP
OP
hoppym27

hoppym27

Well I might go for it..i run for Radcliffe AC near Bury and a few of my clubmates are also members of a cycling club called the 'Holy Rollers' (nothing to do with church) and have mythered me a few times to join them so I might just give it a go!....the only thing that has put me off so far is that these friends are very experienced fast cyclists so I was worried my average of 10mph over 50 miles might be too slow.....

I love 'competing' when running but with cycling I prefer the more relaxed get out and enjoy myself for a few hours approach

Top Bottom