Christmas songs you like, but shouldn't be heard before December 24th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jonah Lewey 'Wish I Could be Home at Christmas'

Greg Lake 'I believe in Father Christmas'

Bing and David 'Little Drummer Boy'

The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl 'Fairytale of New York'

and my favourite carol 'Good King Wenceslas'

I love Christmas for three days :blush:

SamNichols

Delftse Post said:
This is welcome antidote to the usual Christmas nonsense

I've got that knocking around somewhere. But, Pearl Fish is the one that all discerning christmas-philes would go for. Also, Sufjan's christmas box set has some good stuff (some terrible mind you).

I ruddy love Christmas.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Chris Rea - Driving home for Christmas
Greg Lake 'I believe in Father Christmas
The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl 'Fairytale of New York'

But nothing beats a good old fashioned Christmas carol belted-out in a big Church or Cathedral, full choir, big organ (oooer missus), descants...nothing better. Makes me emotional and goose-pimply.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cathryn said:
I agree!!! Last verse of Hark the Herald Angels sing when the organ kicks in and a good choir belts out the descant! That's what Chrimbo's all about!!
Cheers Cathryn! That wonderful few seconds of resonance after the last note is finished...purest joy!
Singing Christmas Carols is without doubt my favourite part of Christmas.

there is not, and never will there be, a better christmas song than The Pogues and Kirsty McColl doing "Fairytale ...". It's the only one you can listen to all year round.

Delftse Post said:
This is welcome antidote to the usual Christmas nonsense

SamNichols said:
I've got that knocking around somewhere. But, Pearl Fish is the one that all discerning christmas-philes would go for. Also, Sufjan's christmas box set has some good stuff (some terrible mind you).

I ruddy love Christmas.

So I wasn't the only one to buy the Low ep then! :blush:

And another vote for "Fairytale".

Bigtallfatbloke

Ok this will sound odd, but the one song that always gets me in the christmas spirit is 'Catch the rainbow' from Rainbows live double LP....it has nothing to do with christmas but I got it as a kid for christmas and havent stopped playing it yet!

strofiwimple

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
there is not, and never will there be, a better christmas song than The Pogues and Kirsty McColl doing "Fairytale ...". It's the only one you can listen to all year round.
surely that doesnt make it a great christmas song?

For what its worth- lindisfarne's a winter song still does it for me

Top Bottom