Christmas - what is the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyreon

I managed to survive this Christmas Day. I classify myself and my life as a misfit. I blame it all on days such as this. I was particularly brutalised in my youth by having to watch Sunday Night and the London Palladium. Real cruelty there. Carols,then prayers(on tv)then some anodyne(tv) tripe for dessert. Radio was the same,possibly worse. Unfortunately at the time I didn't know about self-harm,cos then I might have alleviated some of the boredom. Still,on the premise that if something doesn't kill you it makes you stronger,I can now face and overcome boredom and which many of todays young pups know little of. Think of an empty sodden football ground with no one on it. Maybe two seagulls. Nothing happening. Hours after hour...after hour,after hour. Pure training for facing that wall,Soto Zen style. English winters make us men!
Slightly off topic: instead of the torture that is Gitmo,why not have the inmates watch Strictly(Come Dancing). Uncle! Surrender! Pure pap

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Err ... it is. The early Church may have usurped the date for their festival but Christmas is, by it’s very definition, a Christian festival. The names a bit of a give away.
Who cares about its recent name? Tree worship and lots of silver (associated with evil in several Christian stories) are a bit of a giveaway it's not originally a Christian festival.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Who cares about its recent name? Tree worship and lots of silver (associated with evil in several Christian stories) are a bit of a giveaway it's not originally a Christian festival.

Ancient pagan rituals have even less relevance to a secular 21st century society than some cult leader being born in a cave 2000 years ago.

Top Bottom