Christmas - what is the point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
We are having a great Christmas.
And so are we.
For us it's all about the kids...or nowadays the grandkids, they are the whole point, seeing their pleasure and excitement makes it all worth while.
Nothing else matters, if we hadn't got kids or grandkids of an age you can enjoy that excitement, then just quietly enjoy a few days off, spoil yourself a bit, overindulge a bit, slob out if you want and take a break from the relentless pace of life...or whatever gives you pleasure.

Just enjoy it in whatever capacity suits you while most of us have a welcome few days off.

brucers

Guru
True.

My firm opened those days up this year as a 'one off' we shall see what happens next year.

As for the OP, I'm not a fan of Christmas and all the commercial crap that goes with it, I do the bare minimum for family only.

But you do seem to be seen as 'weird' if you don't enjoy it.

The slippery slope....a one off....annually!

I like the 'traditional' side of Xmas but that seems a distant memory nowadays. The people who go along with the weird line are those that follow like sheep and don't have the gumption to do any different. No doubt there are those who like it just as it is....if it makes them happy, so be it.

Dave7

Legendary Member
He'll be on the dole in Lapland... not our problem... and i'm not a christian :okay:
Not necessarily so.
If he happened to be delivering in our country at the time then our loony government would likely pick up the tab and put him in a 5 bed council house.....with heated stables for his reindeer of course.

mustang1

Legendary Member
You miserable Muppets! I had a wicked awesome Christmas like I always do. This year I went out for a little drive as I found a little time on my own (haven't driven properly for a while), then had a lovely filling lunch, then had a bunch of people popping over, both invited and unexpected. It was great!

Christmas eve was more family time and boxing day was a wonderful breakfast with more extended family, some shopping, and mucking around with mini Stangs. Oh, and I even managed to watch Jurassic World which I looked forward to (I had it on download bit since it was on TV... It was either that or Terminator).

So yeah, it was all good stuff all round! (Sorry to be the bearer of excellent news!) :smile:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
@tyred You could try being homeless next Christmas , you might find the contrast very educational.

I'm sorry but I find complaining about having too much at this time of year very hard to stomach. There's many 1000's of people out there who are having a day with not enough food and no family or friends to share it with.

Milzy

Guru
I can’t believe these miserable people. If I was well enough I’d be enjoying the most exquisite foods and fine ales after doing training runs/rides. My daughter isn’t very well either so we can’t even sleep. It’s the worst Xmas ever but would have been alright if we didn’t have terrible virus attack’s.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Scotland used to take a very different view from England in that while Christmas was recognised it was no big deal. New Year was the main winter festival. I remember working doing postal deliveries on Christmas Day in the 1950’s although being very daring we got the afternoon off. With the advent of telly from BBC things began to go downhill under the constant barrage of “ you must do this “. This did work the other way also of course and England has to a minor extent adopted New Year festivities. The result seems to be that many businesses apart from retail shut down for a whole week. When I was working I detested the whole thing as it caused me loads of hassle trying to keep everything balanced with disruption of transport links etc. Still try to ignore it as much as possible.

vickster

Legendary Member
@tyred You could try being homeless next Christmas , you might find the contrast very educational.

I'm sorry but I find complaining about having too much at this time of year very hard to stomach. There's many 1000's of people out there who are having a day with not enough food and no family or friends to share it with.
Millions in fact around the world

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

and @tyred (OP)... you were saying about people badgering you to do it their way.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom