Chromebooks? Any cop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We don't have a computer at home but we do have and ipad and that serves almost all our needs. But my wife needs to create documents for home study and invoicing and whatnot and the ipad just doesn't cut it.

We also have an ancient HP Laserjet 4m network printer.

My wife uses Google Drive / Docs and the interface is infuriating on the ipad and printing appears not to be very feasible on the ipad.

A Chromebook would appear to be the perfect solution, but can you connect them to network printers? I know about the cloud print service, but we can't use it because we don't have a computer that we could physically connect the printer to.

DWiggy

Über Member
If your using solely Google Docs for your office requirements the Chromebook would be perfect, just remember its not a full computer, you can only load app's (like on a phone/ipad) also using your printer maybe a problem, it would need to have the ability to cloud print? either that or it would need to be connected to your old pc and shared?

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
If your using solely Google Docs for your office requirements the Chromebook would be perfect, just remember its not a full computer, you can only load app's (like on a phone/ipad) also using your printer maybe a problem, it would need to have the ability to cloud print? either that it would need to be connected to your old pc and shared?

We don't have a pc at all. The lack of printing is a bit of a deal breaker sadly.

DWiggy

Über Member
I would personally avoid windows 8 and try and get a window 7 laptop, if you do have to get windows 8 make sure its a touch screen as its a completable mess with just the track pad, even better get a mac if your budget allows.

Herr-B

A quick Google tells me it's nigh on impossible without using their Cloud Print service to a network printer. You have a network printer so I don't see the problem?

More importantly - how have you kept a HP laserjet running for 20 years? :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A quick Google tells me it's nigh on impossible without using their Cloud Print service to a network printer. You have a network printer so I don't see the problem?

More importantly - how have you kept a HP laserjet running for 20 years? :eek:

HP lasers run and run and run !

The only way we've got my works ipad to print at home is to download the HP printing app - at least we can send stuff wirelessly to the HP printer now.

DWiggy

Über Member
As a walk around, could either you or the misses print the stuff off at work...that's what I do:thumbsup: , I don't own a printer btw

HovR

Über Member
Instead of a Chrome book why not just get a netbook running Windows? About the same price, and loads more functionality. You'll also be able to connect your printer to it if you have the correct drivers.

If you do look at this option, ensure that the RAM is upgradable. Most netbooks come with 1GB of RAM and it just isn't enough - An upgrade to 2GB really makes the computer perform better. Some netbooks have the RAM actually soldered to the motherboard, making an upgrade impossible with these models.

Top Bottom