Chuffy slaughtered on TV last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls free range chicken experiment. He decided it would be a good idea to give some chicks to some ordinary people to raise in a free range fashion. Unfortunately they all got a bit to involved and looked on them as their pet chickens - one bloke called his "Chuffy" and would cuddle it and scratch the back of its neck. To say he was upset when it was bled to death in front of him is an understatement.

<whimper>
;)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, I was very impressed that the guy, although he chickened out (sorry) or actually bleeding Chuffy, he did adminster the stunning shock. I was impressed with that mobile slaughterhouse, I know it's just a matter of scale and the process and end result are the same, but it seemed more dignified than the mass dangling of chickens in an electrified bath.

Interesting, that in order to be sold for food, the chickens have to have this stunning before being bled. Whereas it's quite alright for the poultry man to dispatch underweight or sick birds by pulling their necks, and they just go in the bin (I suspect, to go into dog food or bonemeal). Why must an animal have a 'humane' death in order to be food, but not if it's just rubbish? (Although as I understand it, wringing the neck if done right, is just as instant, and has been the method used by smallholders for ever). Is it just that the post-mortem flapping muscle contractions would be inconvenient in a factory situation? Or do consumers have to think the bird is stunned...?

wafflycat

There's a series of 'Kill It, Cook It, Eat It' running on BBC 3 at the moment. Last night it looked at UK veal production (and compared it to continental production), the slaughter process and then eating it. Audience saw the entire slaughter process from start to finish. Interesting range of opinions and reactions from the audience.

Top Bottom