Cigarette manufacturers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
I find it hard to understand why smokers themselves don't want an outright ban on the filthy habit. It would make it easier to stop if there were no cigarettes on sale. Same goes for alcohol. Wicked substances born of demons and witches. Same goes for rock climbers, and car drivers. Car driving , alcoholic, rock climbing smokers should be taken to traitors gate and drowned as the tide comes in.

:whistle:

ASC1951

Guru
I think I read somewhere is there is no legally definable (ie medically proven) link between....

cigarettes = carcinogenics = death.
You may indeed have read that, but it's twaddle - the link has been well established both legally and medically for at least sixty years. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/smokingandtobacco/howdoweknow

Even in the US, the only legal issue has been whether tobacco manufacturers are partly to blame for selling a voluntary product.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Making drugs like Heroin and Cocaine illegal has really worked, hasn't it? No tax revenue and a vast multi billion pound criminal empire that has sprung up to supply demand, with most of the shootings and stabbings on our city streets directly related to drug gangs turf wars. Just like happened in the States with Prohibition, and they are still paying the price with the crime organisations that sprung up then and now effect every walk of life.

Funny how history teaches us nothing.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The government should decriminalise other drugs rather than criminalise tobacco. It's up to individuals which risks they they take with their bodies. Prohibition creates gaps in the market for criminals to exploit. It's fair to ban advertising though, IMO.

Milo

Guru
Could not agree more. The government seems to have this insane view that all drug use is problem use. Believe it or not many people take drugs recreationaly because it's fun not because they are dulling emotional anguish or they live in a rubbish area etc etc. Of course as with alcohol this can go wrong but on the whole most people will live perfectly normal lives alongside occasional drug use, some will out grow it some will not but that really does not matter. Interestingly having seen both heroin addicts and serious alcoholics there really is not that much difference in the shitness of their condition other than one choosing a narcotic that is legal. It is up to you what you choose to do with your body as far as I am concerned.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Varied points. But Im still a little surprised that the government is in reality a drug dealer. They get a percentage of the cash from one of the most addictive drugs out there? yet they will fine and imprison drug users and dealers for doing relatively the same sort of thing they are. Because , now here is the funny bit, they made it illegal. Now Im not agreeing with any sort of drug activity, I personally think they are scum. But then I use a drug for my own enjoyment. Only difference being its a legal drug?

Milo

Guru
Double standards and drug laws go hand in hand. At the end of the day its our body we should be free to do what we want with it and people will always do what they want with it regardless of the letter of law. Little confused with your posting are you saying all drug users are scum?

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
Double standards and drug laws go hand in hand. At the end of the day its our body we should be free to do what we want with it and people will always do what they want with it regardless of the letter of law. Little confused with your posting are you saying all drug users are scum?
Illegal drug pushers, dealers yes, why are you confused?

Milo

Guru
I thought you meant the consumer that is all. I kind of agree with the above statement but not entirely.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
I thought you meant the consumer that is all. I kind of agree with the above statement but not entirely.
No, just the ones making money off it.
Not entirely? Feel free to expand on that.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I work in the cigarette industry and it's my livelihood. I really honestly do not think about what harm the product does, as I agree with other comments that it is up to the individual whether they smoke or not. That and the fact that I am really not in the position to pick and choose which company I work for, if I wanted to that is.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
I work in the cigarette industry and it's my livelihood. I really honestly do not think about what harm the product does, as I agree with other comments that it is up to the individual whether they smoke or not. That and the fact that I am really not in the position to pick and choose which company I work for, if I wanted to that is.
I agree too, it is everyones choice. But my point is that the government are willing to earn vast amounts of money, knowing what harm the selling of cigarettes does, yet jump on dealers and pushers. even though I would hazard a guess that most illegal drugs havnt killed or caused as much serious illness compared to cigarettes.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I totally agree with you mate, that's goverments for you though. I have just really skimmed over this thread so do not know the full crack. But personally even though I am a moderate drinker I find alchohol a far bigger problem that they conveniently ignore and rake loads of cash in from. Having first hand experience of an alcoholic on my wifes side of the family, the grief it causes and suffering is unbelievable. That along with anti-social behaviour, violence in town and city centres and underage drinking etc. Still like the price of fags with smoker's I am being priced out of drinking that often in my town, as the price of a decent pint is aroung £3.50 now or more in some pubs :angry:

Top Bottom