Cigarette style health warning should be put on bacon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
More nanny state intervention or a genuine concern for the proletariat?
It's the state's job to provide people with the information they need to make informed decisions. Nobody's forcing anyone to stop eating bacon.
What’s wrong with banning the use of nitrates in bacon as per the article you shared ?
That's the first time I've seen nitrites described as colouring and flavouring.
The Food Standards Agency hinted that a ban was unlikely. Rick Mumford, its head of science evidence and research, defended their use, saying: “Nitrites are important preservatives which hinder the growth of harmful organisms, in particular the bacteria responsible for botulism – which can be life-threatening".
Smoking causes cancer, bacon causes cancer, but smoking bacon cures it.
I wonder if you can get smoky bacon flavoured fags.
I think ultimately this is about over-processing food, rather than bacon itself.
Yep, https://archive.wphna.org/wp-conten...1-3-28-38-Monteiro-Cannon-Levy-et-al-NOVA.pdf
Best to avoid chilli pepper then. Capsaicin is a naturally occuring carcinogen. I look forward to the supermarket spice shelves having roller blinds, only opened to punters on proof of age.
And carrots.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
That's the first time I've seen nitrites described as colouring and flavouring.

Probably because it's commonly stated online that the colour of bacon comes from the nitrates or nitrites used during the curing process.

"When pork is cured for bacon, it is treated with a mixture of salt, sugar, and nitrates or nitrites. These ingredients help to preserve the meat and give it that distinct bacon flavor. During the curing process, the meat turns from a pale, near-cream color to a bright pink.

The pink color of bacon comes from the nitrates or nitrites used in the curing process. These chemicals react with the myoglobin in the meat to form nitrosomyoglobin, which gives bacon its pink color."

gbb

Legendary Member
It's long been known that excessive consumption of bacon...and processed meats in general, are bad for you. Like many things in life., moderation is a useful key to looking after yourself.
Must admit, I didn't know about the reasons why but it's not rocket science either with hindsight, pre packaged bacon will last 2 weeks in the fridge unopened, and lasts very well even once opened.
Be interesting to buy some fresh bacon and see how it differs. I suspect many of us have lost any reference points to 'normal meat, its been that long since I visited a butchers.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
It's long been known that excessive consumption of bacon...and processed meats in general, are bad for you. Like many things in life., moderation is a useful key to looking after yourself.
Must admit, I didn't know about the reasons why but it's not rocket science either with hindsight, pre packaged bacon will last 2 weeks in the fridge unopened, and lasts very well even once opened.
Be interesting to buy some fresh bacon and see how it differs. I suspect many of us have lost any reference points to 'normal meat, its been that long since I visited a butchers.

I think the potential crossover point is traditionally-smoked stuff; not packed full of modern preservatives (like nitrates) but probably a bit cancer-y with it.

I'm looking forward to packing my "breakfast" omlette full of some quality smoked streaky in a bit :becool:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Don't make me laugh/cry.

Colleagues at work are insisting that any business lunches are all vegan (bear in mind they are in a minority) due to the impact of farming of animals on the environment.
A while ago, when I was a director of a tiny company engaged in technical boffinry, our project officer from the Government Agency that was employing us at the time came for a project meeting. We always got on extremely well. Before lunch, she told us that the Government Agency's rules for employees forbade her from drinking alcohol while at work. We explained that our company's policy was to have two pints at lunchtime, and that, since she was on our premises, our rules prevailed.

She took very little persuading.

Top Bottom