Cigarette style health warning should be put on bacon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And..... I know what I'm going to have for breakfast tomorrow (clue: It's not a nut cutlet)

lazybloke

Considering a new username
That said, apparently Nitrites give bacon its "distinctive pink colour" - one disturbing memory from an otherwise fantastic trip to the utiopia that is Holland was their "bacon" - essentially looking like hyper-thin pork chops; limp, brown and soggy. I hope this isn't in our future..
I don't mind a future where carcinogens are no longer routinely added to our food!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Best to avoid chilli pepper then. Capsaicin is a naturally occuring carcinogen. I look forward to the supermarket spice shelves having roller blinds, only opened to punters on proof of age
Yes, how can i enjoy Fugu when i know theres a tiny risk from mercury pollution!

There are lots of trivial, tolerable or manageable food risks, from fungus in rice to parasites and bacteria in meat, to botulism spores in soil, and radioactive bananas!

I still don't see the wisdom of adulterating food with chemicals known to cause harm, especially to the point that there is advice to restrict intake.

Jameshow

Veteran
It's a sad sight. How did they sink to rock bottom???

They just porked out in the pink slices sadly, queues of the can be seen in Greg's, spoons and supermarket cafes, tongues hanging out for their cancer causing breakfast fix!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A Classic from the OP.
The article is a year old.
Title of thread unrelated to linked article.

Is it a good idea to cure bacon by a method that doesn't use nitrites & nitrates?
Yes there are no downsides and the alternatives don't add cost into the curing process.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shock Horror... Vegan Just Stop Oil person wants people to Just Stop Eating Bacon 🥓

Don't make me laugh/cry.

Colleagues at work are insisting that any business lunches are all vegan (bear in mind they are in a minority) due to the impact of farming of animals on the environment. So we've done it, sandwiches are usually left as they still taste like cardboard. Same people aren't stopping flying round the world to go to un-necessary conferences though ! Pot kettle !

Plenty of nitrates in vegetables too from intensive farming.

Don't make me laugh/cry.

Colleagues at work are insisting that any business lunches are all vegan (bear in mind they are in a minority) due to the impact of farming of animals on the environment. So we've done it, sandwiches are usually left as they still taste like cardboard. Same people aren't stopping flying round the world to go to un-necessary conferences though ! Pot kettle !
People fly round the world. Fact.
Farming animals impacts the environment. Fact.

If the flyers asked you to pickup your litter, would you? Or would you go all Kevin the Teenager? :biggrin:

Jameshow

Veteran
IMG-20230930-WA0013.jpeg

Oh no!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom