Cigarette style health warning should be put on bacon.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Will this lead to plain packets, with pictures of the inside of a stomach on them? Sold only to those over a certain age, upon proof of age.

And in other news, the "five a day" campaign was just quietly dropped, as it may be bad for your health.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Will this lead to plain packets, with pictures of the inside of a stomach on them? Sold only to those over a certain age, upon proof of age.

And in other news, the "five a day" campaign was just quietly dropped, as it may be bad for your health.

Who buys bacon in packets?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Nitrites (NO2-), not nitrates (NO3-).

The use of nitrates in bacon can be traced back to the Middle Ages when salt contaminated with potassium or sodium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, was used to preserve meat.

In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, an independent agency of the World Health Organisation (WHO), reported that processed meat is carcinogenic to humans. This is based on an expert review article, which is summarised in the scientific journal Lancet Oncology.

WHO defines processed meats as products that have undergone salting, curing, fermentation or smoking to enhance flavour or improve preservation. This includes products like bacon, salami, hot dogs, ham and corned beef.

It includes both nitrates and nitrites

Alex321

Veteran
The use of nitrates in bacon can be traced back to the Middle Ages when salt contaminated with potassium or sodium nitrate, also known as saltpeter, was used to preserve meat.

In 2015, the International Agency for Research on Cancer, an independent agency of the World Health Organisation (WHO), reported that processed meat is carcinogenic to humans. This is based on an expert review article, which is summarised in the scientific journal Lancet Oncology.

WHO defines processed meats as products that have undergone salting, curing, fermentation or smoking to enhance flavour or improve preservation. This includes products like bacon, salami, hot dogs, ham and corned beef.

It includes both nitrates and nitrites

Yes, but the article this thread is about was talking specifically about nitrites.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think ultimately this is about over-processing food, rather than bacon itself.

That said, apparently Nitrites give bacon its "distinctive pink colour" - one disturbing memory from an otherwise fantastic trip to the utiopia that is Holland was their "bacon" - essentially looking like hyper-thin pork chops; limp, brown and soggy. I hope this isn't in our future..

Top Bottom