Veggie bacon anyone ? Success or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Suggestions/recommendations please.

I enjoy a bacon/egg and bacon butty.
For a number of reasons I am thinking of trying a veggie alternative.
I don't expect to think "wow, I can't tell the difference".....just something nice and bacon(ish).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Blurgh. Real stuff or something else completely. Not into fake meat.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Completely agree re fake bacon being awful - and fake meat in general.

But on suggestions for a good veggie alternative, how about a slice of fried halloumi with a roast pepper (from a jar) or sundried tomatoes. Ideally on fresh foccaccia.

The same salty, umami hit of a bacon buttie.

For a vegan one, substitute hummus plus olives for halloumi.

Willd

Veteran
The wife, being vegetarian has it, we refer to it as facon. Revolting stuff, with an artificial smell and consistency / look of a pink shoe insole xx(
That's the Quorn one I think. There is another one that looks like fake steaky bacon - think giant Frazzles.

As above, why try to recreate a meat product :thumbsdown:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
There is no such thing as veggie bacon. It's either a vegetable or its meat. You can't have both. Disgusting to even think of such a thing. A bit like meatless sausages. What the...... :laugh:

I dunno about bacon - but a month or so ago I tried the greggs vegy sausage roll
Wasn;t my idea - grand-daughter specifically wanted one - I blame evil influences from the "other gran" who has gone Vegan (or something like that - not sure she doe sit properly)

anyway - due to the offer of 2 being not much more than 1 in price - I got 2 but she only ate one - so I tried it later on

I commented on another more popular forum (!!!) that it was basically missing some meat

I got a reply to that comment yesterday saying he expected me to be making a joke about slavery next!!!

anyway - I'll not be trying facon any time soon!

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree, I don’t eat meat and avoid fake meat at all costs (some of the better fake meat burgers are ok if a good one and there’s nothing else I fancy on a pub/restaurant menu)!
I don’t eat meat as I completely went off the texture, taste and smell, why would I want to replicate!

Why not just get better quality bacon, there are nitrate free options for example if wanting to avoid the crap, but what is your reason for wanting to try? If health, just have as an occasional thing..or just leave the bacon out, a fried egg sarnie done well is a delight!

Chief Broom

Veteran
As previous posters have said meat substitutes are ghastly and best avoided. If i wanted a heavier duty option to kick start the day would opt for cheese on toast [with chopped onion and chillies] :okay:

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Agree, I don’t eat meat and avoid fake meat at all costs (some of the better fake meat burgers are ok if a good one and there’s nothing else I fancy on a pub/restaurant menu)!
I don’t eat meat as I completely went off the texture, taste and smell, why would I want to replicate!

Why not just get better quality bacon, there are nitrate free options for example if wanting to avoid the crap, but what is your reason for wanting to try? If health, just have as an occasional thing..or just leave the bacon out, a fried egg sarnie done well is a delight!

I eat top quality bacon. I just want to try the veggie stuff as I read some good things about it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I dunno about bacon - but a month or so ago I tried the greggs vegy sausage roll
Wasn;t my idea - grand-daughter specifically wanted one - I blame evil influences from the "other gran" who has gone Vegan (or something like that - not sure she doe sit properly)

anyway - due to the offer of 2 being not much more than 1 in price - I got 2 but she only ate one - so I tried it later on

I commented on another more popular forum (!!!) that it was basically missing some meat

I got a reply to that comment yesterday saying he expected me to be making a joke about slavery next!!!

anyway - I'll not be trying facon any time soon!

I love the Greggs vegan sausage rolls. Even my 13yo, as you can imagine, as a picky eater liked them.
Oh yes, I also love their normal meat sausage rolls.
I just chop and change when the whim takes me.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Then find a product from the good stuff you've read and try it for yourself.

Well thats helpful.

I thought/hoped that some CCrs would have had experience.
Most are missing the point.....I don't expect something that replicates bacon...just a nice, tasty substitute.

vickster

Legendary Member

markemark

Über Member
Well thats helpful.

I thought/hoped that some CCrs would have had experience.
Most are missing the point.....I don't expect something that replicates bacon...just a nice, tasty substitute.

But any answers will be so subjective as to meaningless. Only you'll know if you like it or not. There's a market for it. Some will like it. Some won't. You'll have no clue as to which group you're in without finding out for yourself. Even if most dislike it, all that means is that you're more likely to dislike it. But again, only trying it will give you the answer.

Top Bottom